Abadia de Bobbio, Itália

Abadia de Bobbio, Itália


São Columbano funda o mosteiro e a biblioteca de Bobbio

Em 614, São Columbano fundou a Abbazia di San Colombano em Bobbio, na província de Piacenza, na região da Emilia-Romagna, na Itália. Bobbio tornou-se famoso como um centro de resistência ao arianismo, e a biblioteca da abadia, fundada por Columbanus com manuscritos que ele trouxe da Irlanda e tratados que escreveu pessoalmente, tornou-se uma das maiores bibliotecas da Idade Média.

“Muitos livros de sua biblioteca são mais antigos que o mosteiro e isso demonstra que Bobbio recebeu muitos livros de segunda mão. Refiro-me especialmente aos exemplares de Cipriano, o códice bíblico k de origem africana, o Medici Virgil, os manuscritos gramaticais muito antigos e, especialmente, os textos clássicos que jazem enterrados em palimpsestos "(Bischoff, Manuscritos e bibliotecas na era de Carlos Magno [2007] 9).

No século IX, Saint Dungal deixou sua biblioteca para a abadia. Incluía cerca de setenta volumes, entre os quais o famoso 'Antifonário de Bangor'.

Em 982, Gerberto de Aurillac (mais tarde Papa Silvestre II) tornou-se abade de Bobbio e, com a ajuda de numerosos tratados antigos que lá encontrou, compôs sua célebre obra sobre geometria. Parece que quando o grego era quase desconhecido na Europa ocidental, certos monges irlandeses em Bobbio liam Aristóteles e Demóstenes no grego original.

“Um catálogo do século X, publicado pela Muratori, mostra que naquele período todos os ramos do conhecimento, divino e humano, estavam representados nesta biblioteca. Muitos dos livros se perderam, o resto há muito se dispersou e ainda é estimado entre os principais tesouros das coleções posteriores que os possuem.

"Em 1616, o cardeal Federico Borromeo levou para a Biblioteca Ambrosiana de Milão oitenta e seis volumes, incluindo o famoso" Bobbio Missal ", escrito por volta de 911, o Antifonário de Bangor e os palimpsestos da versão gótica de Ulfilas da Bíblia. Vinte e seis volumes foram entregues, em 1618, ao Papa Paulo V para a Biblioteca do Vaticano. Muitos outros foram enviados a Turim, onde, além dos arquivos reais, havia setenta e um na Biblioteca da Universidade até o desastroso incêndio de 26 de janeiro de 1904 " (Artigo da Wikipedia sobre Bobbio Abbey, acessado em 12-03-2008).

& diams Umberto Eco baseou a localização de seu romance de 1980-83 O nome da rosa, com sua biblioteca labiríntica, na abadia de Bobbio.


[Emilia Romagna Villages] Bobbio: uma cidade de cinema e lenda

Esta pequena cidade medieval é um deleite para os viajantes, um banquete de lendas antigas e cinema moderno no coração de High Val Trebbia, apelidado de "o vale mais bonito do mundo" por ninguém menos que Ernest Hemingway. A cidade tem as qualidades culturais e naturais para merecer ser membro da Associação das Aldeias Mais Bonitas da Itália e da Associação Bandeira de Orange.

As origens de Bobbio são um mistério. Sua história está intimamente ligada à famosa Abadia de São Columbano e o lendário Ponte do Diabo. A cidade está espremida entre quatro regiões, um paraíso para os amantes da cultura, da natureza e do esporte. Em suma, um pequeno pedaço de magia.

Visitar Bobbio é como voltar à Idade Média, para reviver o prestígio e o esplendor que este lugar desfrutou. Através da fé e da visão de um monge irlandês, São Columbano, este canto remoto dos Apeninos se tornou o coração pulsante da cultura religiosa medieval na Europa. Foi em torno da abadia, na verdade, que a cidade assimétrica cresceu pela primeira vez. A abadia tornou-se um grande complexo monástico, um farol de cultura no mesmo nível de Montecassino, ela abriga o antigo scriptorium e a biblioteca que inspirou "O nome da rosa" de Umberto Eco.

A mais famosa das muitas lendas que cercam a Ponte do Diabo diz que Satanás a construiu em uma única noite, apoiando-a nas costas de seus diabinhos, em troca da alma do primeiro ser que a cruzaria, apenas para São Columbano zombar dele enviando seu urso fiel. A cidade medieval é um belo cenário para o Bobbio Film Festival anual, as galerias da Piazza Duomo são um ótimo local para um café antes do filme, e as ruas de paralelepípedos estão todas planejadas para serem exploradas depois. Tendo visitado há alguns anos durante um fim de semana em Brugnello, posso recomendá-lo para quem procura um local encantador para uma curta pausa da rotina diária.

História

O nome da cidade deriva de “saltus Boielis”, A versão latina do nome celta-liguriano (Boiel) para o próximo Monte Penice e para o riacho que jorra dele. No século 4, os romanos estabeleceram uma base estratégica aqui na margem oeste do rio Trebbia para controlar a estrada do sal para a capital bizantina de Gênova ao longo do Val Trebbia. Em 614, o monge eremita Columban chegou da Irlanda e fundou um mosteiro beneditino nas terras que lhe foram dadas pelo rei lombardo Agilulf e pela rainha Teodolinda. O mosteiro cresceu em importância, obtendo até uma diocese própria, até que Napoleão o suprimiu em 1803. A abadia fez parte da província de Pavia até 1923, quando ficou sob o controle de Piacenza.

O que ver

Um ponto de partida natural é a icônica Ponte do Diabo, uma das estruturas mais interessantes da região. Pode ser de origem romana, embora certamente existisse no período Longobardo, pois havia uma vez salinas e uma fornalha além dela. Seus 11 arcos variados que marcham pelo rio Trebbia são todos feitos de pedra com algumas reformas e superestruturas barrocas. Enquanto observa as linhas excêntricas da ponte, você também pode admirar a cidade e sua localização do outro lado.

Em seguida, vá até o lugar que deu nome a Bobbio: a abadia. Fundado pelo monge beneditino São Columbano, foi originalmente construído onde hoje se encontra o castelo e foi transferido para o local atual no século IX pelo Abade Agilulf. A atual basílica foi construída sobre a proto-românica nos séculos XV e XVI. As duas características mais atraentes são a tumba de São Columbano na cripta e o piso de mosaico original da basílica de Agilulf, um verdadeiro tapete de oração para os fiéis, representando cenas bíblicas e os meses do ano. É um lugar de profunda paz. Da Piazza San Colombano, siga para o castelo Malaspina-Dal Verme do século 14, cuja imponente portaria quadrada domina a cidade. Daí para a torre do bispo, uma relíquia medieval.

Certifique-se de visitar o pequeno centro da cidade com arcadas, a Piazza Duomo e a catedral de Santa Maria Assunta, cuja fachada data de 1463, enquanto as duas torres laterais são originais de 1075. O interior é uma mistura de estilos do neo Gótico-bizantino dos corredores aos afrescos do século XIV. O Museu da Abadia, no local do antigo scriptorium, mergulha você nos mundos dos romanos, longobardos e carolíngios, com exposições sobre o mosteiro e a cidade.

O mosteiro franciscano do século 13 com seu claustro do século 16, o palácio da Rainha Teodolinda, o Moinho Ocelli, o Palazzo Brugnatelli do século 13 e a antiga cidade de San Giuseppe com seus edifícios de pedra de 1100 estão à sua disposição. E não deixe de visitar o Santuário de Nossa Senhora do Socorro, uma igreja barroca com nave acrescentada em 1640 à estrutura original do século XV.

O que fazer

Primavera
- Caminhe pelo menos a primeira etapa do Caminho dos Abades.
- Visite o sítio arqueológico de Veleia Romana ou o Parque Regional de Stirone e Piacenziano.
Verão
- Dê um mergulho refrescante nas águas cristalinas do rio Trebbia e tome banhos de sol em suas muitas pequenas praias tranquilas.
- Explore o Alto Val Trebbia a pé, de bicicleta, de jangada ou a cavalo.
Outono
- Vá à caça de cogumelos, trufas e castanhas e desfrute das várias festas a eles dedicadas.
- Visite o Museu Etnográfico do Vale Trebbia em Callegari e os castelos do vale.
Inverno
- Penice Pass: As alegrias de um dia na neve podem durar até tarde, graças ao excelente sistema de iluminação.
- Esqui cross-country nas trilhas de 7,5, 5, 3 ou 2 km no resort de Vallette.

Eventos

Bobbio Film Festival - Veja qual filme ganhará o prêmio Gobbo d'Oro neste prestigioso evento no charmoso claustro da Abadia.
Festival do caracol e mercado de Natal, dezembro - Divirta-se com os jogos e o entretenimento infantil, navegue nas animadas barracas que vendem presentes de Natal nas ruas e experimente os famosos caracóis Bobbio, uma especialidade da véspera de Natal, nos restaurantes.

Comida e vinho

Em Val Trebbia, a boa comida tradicional local está sempre no menu. Experimente o aperitivo de salsicha com 3 produtos PDO (bacon, salame e copa ou pescoço de porco), um trio de primeiros pratos na forma de Bobbio maccheroni, malfatti (pequenos nhoques assados ​​com ricota e acelga) e pinhões com ricota, um par de segundos pratos com caracóis Bobbio e braquetone ( um salame de ombro de porco servido cozido com polenta ou legumes). Tudo regado com um dos mais de 20 vinhos DOC Colli Piacentini, naturalmente. E as cestas frágeis de amêndoa para a tarde também são demais. Percorrendo as lojas da cidade velha, você encontrará uma variedade de salame local, trufas e cogumelos porcini para levar para casa.

Personagens Famosos

São Columbano - O fundador da Abadia foi recentemente santificado pelo Papa Bento XVI. Columbano foi um verdadeiro europeu, reconhecendo a unidade cultural do continente ao cunhar a frase "em toda a Europa", em latim "totius Europae". Ele também é o santo padroeiro dos motociclistas, e os motociclistas são visitantes frequentes da cidade.
Marco Bellocchio - O artista de Piacenza foi um dos cineastas e produtores de cinema mais renomados da Itália. Criou o laboratório Farecinema em 1995, que em 2005 se transformou no Bobbio Film Festival.

Percursos de peregrinação e trilhas para caminhada

A primeira etapa em Emilia-Romagna do Caminho dos Abades começa em Bobbio.

Peregrinos ao longo da Via Francigena e # 8211 Bobbio

Árvores Monumentais

Os amantes da natureza irão desfrutar destas belas árvores antigas:
- O plátano na Praça de São Francisco, Bobbio
- O carvalho em Cascina Stavello, Vaccarezza, Bobbio

A seção [Aldeias da Emilia Romagna] é dedicada às Aldeias que fazem parte das Associações Borghi più belli d’Italia, Bandiere Arancioni del Touring Club e Borghi autentici d’Italia.


Conheça a vila de Bobbio, uma joia da Emilia Romagna

Bobbio é uma cidade italiana de 3.544 habitantes na província de Piacenza, no vale de Trebbia, em Emilia-Romagna. O território, habitado desde o Neolítico com assentamentos celto-ligurianos, tornou-se romano em 14 a.C. e no século IV foi formada a aldeia fortificada de Castrum Bobium, mas sua história é idêntica à da Abadia de San Colombano fundada em 614.

Ao longo da Idade Média, teve um papel político, religioso e cultural de importância europeia, e suas possessões feudais reais e imperiais, desde as idades lombarda e carolíngia, abrangeram vastas áreas do centro e norte da Itália. Em 14 de fevereiro de 1014 teve o título de Cidade, tornando-se Diocese, Condado Episcopal, Município e paredes circundantes primeiro independentes como feudo Imperial, um breve parêntese como Senhorio da Malaspina, então sob o Ducado de Milão como o condado imperial autônomo do Dal Verme e, finalmente, no Reino da Sardenha sob o Savoy. Comunidade livre desde o início do século XII, lutou com a Liga Lombard contra Barbarossa em Legnano. Província genovesa até a unificação da Itália, até 1923 fazia parte da província de Pavia, depois passou para a província de Piacenza. Foi bispado até 1986.

A cidade é sede da nova União de Municípios: a União das Serras dos Vales Trebbia e Luretta. É um destino turístico conhecido por seu passado de arte e cultura. O centro histórico manteve intactas as características da vila medieval. O símbolo da cidade é a Ponte Gobbo (ou Ponte del Diavolo), uma ponte de pedra de origem romana, que atravessa o rio Trebbia com 11 arcos irregulares. Domina o Santuário de Santa Maria em Monte Penice, que se situa no cume da montanha homónima.

A história deste pequeno centro se perde nas brumas do tempo, de fato, a área foi habitada desde os tempos pré-históricos, mas torna-se um importante centro a partir da colonização romana quando a parte da ponte hoje conhecida como Ponte Gobbo é construída , para se tornar no início da Idade Média um dos centros mais importantes do monaquismo ocidental. Na verdade, apenas em Bobbio, o monge irlandês San Colombano fundou um mosteiro que em pouco tempo desenvolveu uma das mais importantes e prestigiosas bibliotecas de todo o cristianismo e onde alguns dos manuscritos latinos mais antigos e valiosos da história ainda são preservados hoje.

Bobbio é uma cidade pequena, mas a densidade de arte e cultura que você encontrará é algo único e você vai se apaixonar pelas ruas de paralelepípedos e edifícios de tijolos desta cidade medieval.

Bobbio é perfeita para visitar em qualquer estação do ano: no inverno a cidade é frequentemente caiada pela neve, oferecendo uma atmosfera mágica e fascinante na primavera e no verão. A natureza exuberante dos Apeninos dá o seu melhor ao oferecer um refúgio fresco do calor o Vale do Pó, o outono, finalmente, dá aos bosques ao redor da cidade uma incrível variedade de cores que vão do cobre ao vermelho para panoramas verdadeiramente deslumbrantes.

Vamos ver em detalhes as maravilhas desta bela vila medieval!

Ponte Gobbo

A Ponte Gobbo (também chamada de Ponte Vecchio ou Ponte del Diavolo) é uma antiga ponte de perfil irregular, que atravessa o rio Trebbia em Bobbio, na província de Piacenza, e é o símbolo de Bobbio.

A Ponte Vecchio di Bobbio, com 273 metros de comprimento, foi chamada de Ponte Gobbo devido ao perfil irregular particular com 11 arcos desiguais entre eles e colocados em diferentes alturas.

Esta ponte, de origem romana, é formada por 11 longos arcos irregulares que lhe conferem um aspecto original e sugestivo, que também está na origem das lendas sobre o seu nome. Na verdade, diz-se que a ponte foi construída com este aspecto pelo próprio demônio para assustar os monges do mosteiro de San Colombano e impedi-los de cruzar o rio.

Existem três pares de santuários ou cruzes acima dos vãos principais. Nos dois acima do arco principal (chamado della Spessa), há duas estátuas, que representam San Colombano e a Madonna dell & # 8217Aiuto.

O período de construção da Ponte Vecchio, denominado corcunda pela irregularidade e saliência dos seus arcos, não pode ser datado, mas remonta à época romana e pode-se presumir que surgiu após a conquista romana da então aldeia Ligúria-Céltica sofreu vários remakes nas idades seguintes.

Foram encontrados vestígios de uma ponte mais antiga abaixo, que pode ser considerada alta medieval, antes da chegada de San Colombano. O edifício acima remonta ao século VII por. No Arquivo Histórico Bobiense existe um documento datado de 6 de abril de 1196 que atesta a manutenção da ponte.

Para o povoamento de Bobbio, era imprescindível uma conexão segura com as diversas atividades da margem direita do Trebbia: as salinas termais, as termas Romanas e Longobardas, a fornalha do Rio Gambado e a estrada de ligação com o Genovês e a Lunigiana (onde o mosteiro Bobbian possuía numerosos bens). Devido à natureza torrencial, o Trebbia sofre inundações repentinas e devastadoras com movimento frequente do leito de gravilha, o que torna a caminhada problemática especialmente nos meses de inverno.

Até o século XVI, a ponte era composta por alguns arcos, um grande arco na margem direita do Trebbia com três arcos menores. As cheias do rio ao longo dos anos causaram vários ferimentos na ponte de pedra, que sempre foi reconstruída com paciência, mesmo com modificações substanciais para melhorar a sua segurança e robustez.

Por volta de 1590, começou a se estender em direção à margem esquerda, projetada pelo mestre Magnano de Parma, durante o século XVII a ponte passou a ter onze arcos.

Durante séculos, a ponte foi destino de peregrinos e procissões religiosas com bênçãos com a construção de cruzes e imagens votivas junto às margens (hoje algumas delas ainda são visíveis).

Abadia de San Colombano

A abadia de San Colombano é um dos centros monásticos mais importantes da Europa, o último fundado na Itália por San Colombano em 614 em Bobbio, na província de Piacenza. Sujeito ao governo monástico e à ordem de San Colombano, ele se tornou um beneditino por volta do século IX.

A abadia durante a Idade Média foi um dos centros monásticos mais importantes da Europa. Todo o complexo é constituído pela Basílica, pelo Claustro, pelos Jardins, pelas celas e pelo scriptorium.

Atualmente, a basílica é uma freguesia do vicariato de Bobbio, Alta Val Trebbia, Aveto e Oltre Penice da diocese de Piacenza-Bobbio. Nasce no centro da vila que se formou ao longo do tempo em torno da vasta área ocupada pelo mosteiro.

Ao longo da Idade Média, a abadia foi um dos centros monásticos mais importantes da Europa, tornando-se um Montecassino no norte da Itália entre os séculos VII e XII. De fato, ficou famosa pelo Scriptorium, cujo catálogo, em 982, incluía mais de 700 códices e que após dispersão em outras bibliotecas preservaram 25 dos 150 manuscritos mais antigos da literatura latina no mundo.

Tornou-se a abadia da ordem monástica, cujo poder se estendeu na Europa graças às numerosas abadias e mosteiros fundados por seus monges desde a era Lombard. No norte da Itália, o feudo monástico de Bobbio foi rapidamente criado e, em seguida, substituído pelo & # 8220 condado episcopal de Bobbio & # 8221.

O atual complexo da abadia remonta, portanto, ao final do século XV e início do século XVI: apenas parcialmente foi preservada a estrutura da antiga basílica proto-românica, da qual uma pequena seção da abside circular, parte da torre sineira e de uma parte do esplêndido chão de mosaico, apenas a área do refeitório do mosteiro do século XI, hoje ocupada pelo Museu da Cidade.

Na era napoleônica, a abadia foi suprimida e muitos de seus ativos, incluindo os preciosos códigos, foram colocados em leilão.

Hoje, o que resta do antigo patrimônio dos códigos Bobbiense, está preservado em várias bibliotecas: a Biblioteca Ambrosiana de Milão, a Biblioteca do Vaticano de Roma, a Biblioteca Nacional de Torino e outras.

O claustro e o corredor da abadia estão abertos todos os dias até 20 no inverno e 22 no verão.

Os serviços religiosos são realizados lá apenas nos feriados. A festa anual é dia 23 de novembro, festa do padroeiro de Bobbio.

Hoje, a Abadia abriga o Museu da Cidade.

Castelo Malaspina

O Castelo Malaspina Dal Verme di Bobbio é uma estrutura fortificada composta por vários edifícios encerrados nas paredes internas de pedra. O forte é acessado por duas entradas, ambas localizadas ao norte.

O hall de entrada leva ao & # 8220Sala delle Marine & # 8221 e a um salão com uma grande lareira de pedra encimada pelas armas da família Dal Verme. Na parede ao longo da escadaria que conduz aos pisos superiores, encontra-se um afresco destacado, do século XVI, que representa uma Madona com o Menino.

Em 1360, Galeazzo Visconti doou o Castelo Malaspina de Verme para sua nora Isabella da França, esposa de seu filho Gian Galeazzo. Teremos de esperar até 1436 para testemunhar a passagem do castelo entre os bens dos condes de Dal Verme.

A estrutura atual do castelo parece dever-se à vontade de um dos seus descendentes, Pietro Dal Verme, que interveio em meados do século XV.

A transformação do antigo e austero solar numa elegante residência, cujas fontes remontam a 1545, deve-se ao próprio Gian Maria Dal Verme. Uma campanha substancial de obras deve remontar a meados e um pouco além do século XVI. De facto, a diferença de nível entre o acesso atual e a superfície de suporte da parede escarpada, com cerca de 3 metros de altura, pode sugerir que alguns quartos que já não eram viáveis ​​estavam originalmente presentes no piso térreo.

Em 1973, realizaram-se intervenções que implicaram a reconstrução de todos os rebocos, pisos, cobertura, consolidação das estruturas e parte da escada. O Castelo Malaspina dal Verme di Bobbio é um patrimônio estatal administrado diretamente pela Superintendência do Patrimônio Arquitetônico e Paisagístico das províncias de Parma e Piacenza.

Hoje, o castelo pode ser visitado pela torre de onde se pode admirar uma vista deslumbrante do Val Trebbia.

Museu da Cidade

Situado nas instalações do antigo refeitório, cozinha, lavabo e adega do mosteiro de San Colombano, o Museu da Cidade oferece um caminho introdutório à história da Abadia e da cidade de Bobbio. O cenário, com estações de trabalho audiovisual multimídia, aborda questões relacionadas com a vida de San Colombano, a atividade do Scriptorium, a história do monaquismo e conta as principais etapas que caracterizaram a história da cidade.

Além de restaurar para uso público as salas mais antigas do mosteiro & # 8217, o Museu da Cidade traça a história de um dos mais importantes centros de cultura e espiritualidade da Europa medieval e se prepara para uma visita à abadia e à cidade de Bobbio.

Foi transferida para o corredor do mosteiro a planta do museu, composta por mostras transparentes, nas quais são abordados os temas relacionados com a vida e obra de San Colombano, a situação geopolítica da Itália longobarda e a atividade do famoso Scriptorium.

Acima do portal de entrada há um aviso da regra de San Colombano: Ne quid nimis (nada demais, nada demais) que lembrava aos monges que eram parques para a comida. Nas faces superiores do portal encontram-se duas cabeças apotropaicas, uma original do século XIII, a outra oposta em cópia.

A primeira seção é dedicada à vida e obra de San Colombano, às relações com a corte lombarda e aos laços com a Irlanda, enquanto na segunda sala o complexo da abadia é descrito do ponto de vista arquitetônico e a atividade do scriptorium que ele fez di Bobbio o maior centro de difusão da cultura no norte da Itália.

No interior, você pode admirar uma maravilhosa decoração de terracota do século 12, o notável piso recuperado quase intacto e um afresco do século 15 representando a crucificação com San Colombano e San Benedetto.

O layout do museu foi recentemente renovado: é possível assistir a um vídeo introdutório sobre a cidade de Bobbio em um ambiente envolvente.

Catedral de Bobbio

A catedral de Bobbio ou co-catedral de Santa Maria Assunta, é uma igreja paroquial de Bobbio na província de Piacenza, catedral até 1986 da diocese de Bobbio, posteriormente, até 1989, co-catedral da arquidiocese de Genoa-Bobbio, agora co-catedral da diocese. Piacenza-Bobbio e sede do vicariato de Bobbio, Alta Val Trebbia, Aveto e Oltre Penice.

Nasce no centro do tecido urbano da cidade, que se formou aos poucos em torno da vasta área entre a Abadia de San Colombano e a Piazza del Duomo: é a vila medieval chamada & # 8220 aldeia intrínseca & # 8221, hoje & # 8217s centro histórico, que manteve o nome original de Bobium.

Possui decoração moderna nas três naves e uma setecentista no presbitério e na cúpula do transepto. Na capela de San Giovanni, acessível a partir do transepto direito, pode-se admirar um maravilhoso afresco da segunda metade do século XV, que representa a Anunciação.

Além da igreja catedral, o complexo da catedral é composto por vários edifícios, o Palácio Episcopal com o Museu Diocesano da Sé, os jardins e o oratório, e o Antigo seminário que hoje abriga o Arquivo histórico Bobiense com o claustro do século XVII.

Ao lado da catedral, fica o palácio do bispo do século 11 e o palácio do séc. 8217, que abriga o Museu da Catedral.

A exposição percorre dez salas, com obras que ilustram a história da diocese de Bobbio, do palácio episcopal e da catedral. O hall de entrada conta a história da diocese através de mapas, documentos e testemunhos do último bispo Mons. Pietro Zuccarino. A próxima sala, em cujas paredes se pode admirar o grande afresco com retratos dos bispos de Bobbio, abriga paramentos pastorais e episcopais. Na terceira sala, está exposto o tesouro da Sé Catedral, constituído por entalhes em madeira, talheres e tecidos.

O itinerário inclui a sala de afrescos (sala IV) que abriga uma pintura mural do século XVIII representando a Adoração dos Reis Magos, a sala do Arquivo (sala V) que preserva o mobiliário de madeira original intacto e a capela do bispo & # 8217 com uma pintura por Domenico Buonviso de 1624 (sala VI). Testemunho da crença popular são os relicários expostos na sala contígua (sala VII), enquanto as últimas salas são dedicadas respectivamente a mobiliário das paróquias da diocese (sala VIII) e obras pictóricas (sala IX). O passeio termina com uma sala dedicada a Sant & # 8217Antonio Maria Gianelli com documentos e atos sinodais de sua propriedade (sala X).

A catedral está aberta todos os dias em horas contínuas.

Mosteiro de São Francisco

O mosteiro de San Francesco, juntamente com a sua igreja, é um antigo edifício eclesiástico de Bobbio, na província de Piacenza.

Fica perto da aldeia de Corgnate (formiga Codognarum), uma vez fora do centro do tecido urbano da cidade, quanto ao Santuário da Madonna dell & # 8217Aiuto: é a aldeia medieval chamada & # 8220 aldeia extrínseca & # 8221, próxima para o centro histórico de hoje & # 8217, que manteve o nome original de & # 8220Bobium & # 8221.

A fachada da igreja se abre na homônima Piazza San Francesco, ao lado do posto de turismo e do novo estacionamento público.

O mosteiro de San Francesco e a igreja foram construídos por volta de 1230, na verdade a construção teria começado em um terreno doado pelos monges de San Colombano ao mesmo San Francesco que veio a Bobbio para resolver uma das numerosas disputas que surgiram entre o abade do mosteiro e o bispo de Bobbio, nas antigas atribuições de terras monásticas.

Num documento de 1756, é mencionada a antiga existência de uma igreja e de um pequeno mosteiro com cela-dormitório ocupada pelo próprio São Francisco. O que sem documentação histórica exata é tradicionalmente lembrado como a & # 8220 passagem de São Francisco de Assis para Bobbio & # 8221, poderia ser menos imaginativo dado o cumprimento real de uma viagem do santo ao norte da Itália entre 1210-12.

As obras terminaram em 1233 e Bobbio é o assentamento franciscano mais antigo do norte da Itália, construído em uma cidade de enorme fama monástica e destino de peregrinações ao longo da Via Francigena e da Via degli Abati. Em 1436, o mosteiro de Santa Chiara, hoje sede municipal, e o hospital de San Lazzaro destruído em 1472 também serão erguidos na cidade franciscana.

O complexo monástico foi cercado por paredes poderosas, demolidas em 1800 após a supressão monástica

No século XV, o mosteiro, até então independente, passou para a congregação dos frades menores de Bolonha.

Em 1710, a igreja passou por mudanças significativas e foi consagrada novamente em 1722.

Em 1783 houve a passagem para os frades menores de Turim.

O edifício monástico foi ocupado pelos Napoleões em 1802, após a expulsão dos monges franciscanos, a igreja sofreu consideráveis ​​alterações tornando-se um armazém.

Posteriormente, o Marquês Malaspina adquiriu todo o complexo por meio de sua reforma.

O claustro do século XV é sugestivo, sustentado em três lados por pilares atarracados que sustentam quatro vãos de cada lado cobertos por abóbadas cruzadas, sobre as quais corre uma loggia com cobertura de madeira com colunas de capitéis medievais.

Existe atualmente um projeto de recuperação arquitetônica particular da parte monástica, tendo a igreja sido doada pelos proprietários ao município. Para a igreja existe atualmente um projeto de recuperação arquitetônica e transformação em um auditório da cidade.

Santuário de Santa Maria em Monte Penice

O antigo santuário de Santa Maria in Monte Penice está situado no cume do Monte Penice a 1.460 m., É um edifício eclesiástico não paroquial no município de Bobbio, na província de Piacenza, na fronteira com a província de Pavia. Dedicado à Madonna, remonta a um edifício primitivo do século VII, então ampliado várias vezes. Localizada em um ponto particularmente panorâmico, da sua praça você pode desfrutar de uma ampla vista não só sobre o vale de Trebbia e o vale de Staffora, mas sobre toda a área de Emilia e Pavia e em determinados dias até os Alpes nevados são visíveis.

O cume do Monte Penice pode ser alcançado por meio de uma estrada de cerca de 4 km de comprimento, que sobe desde a passagem de Penice até 1149 m., Onde passa a estrada provincial antiga estrada estadual 461 do Passo del Penice (Bobbio-Voghera). O local também pode ser alcançado através do Val Tidone, pela antiga estrada estadual 412 do Val Tidone (Castel San Giovanni-Romagnese-Passo Penice).

Suas origens se perderam ao longo dos séculos. Fontes históricas atestam que neste pico a Madonna é venerada há mais de 1350 anos, por promessa feita por São Colombano à rainha dos lombardos Teodolinda no século VII. Dos governantes lombardos, o santo missionário irlandês possuía o território no qual fundou a abadia de San Colombano em 614. Parece que o edifício foi construído sobre um templo pagão celta-lígure.

Na verdade, um artefato que data do século I-II foi encontrado, agora preservado em Gênova no castelo de Montegalletto. O artefato é uma estatueta de bronze de 96 mm que representa um sacerdote oferecendo uma divindade pagã.

Em 622 o rei lombardo Adaloaldo, que substituiu seu pai Agilulfo, com sua mãe Teodolinda que veio a Bobbio para visitar o túmulo de Colombano & # 8217, subiu ao topo do Monte Penice em oração, antes de descer à cidade.

No século XI, o santuário já existia no tamanho atual. A igreja tem o antigo título de Mãe de Deus, que mais tarde se tornou & # 8220Santa Maria in Monte Penice & # 8221 ou mais comumente & # 8220Madonna del Penice & # 8221.

Em 1073, o edifício original foi reformado e outras obras de restauração datam de 1619

Durante séculos o santuário pertenceu aos numerosos bens do mosteiro de San Colombano, juntamente com as paróquias de San Cristoforo, Dezza e Ceci, até ao início do século XIX, quando passou para a diocese de Bobbio tornando-se o principal centro de culto mariano da área.

In the early 1900s the front porch was built (a postcard owned by the Diocesan historical archive Piacenza – Bobbio dated 1904 still shows the church without a portico), while the statue of the Redeemer was placed on October 14, 1900 the new bell tower was built in 1967. On September 12, 1927 the 3 km carriage road that leads to the summit from the Penice pass was completed.

The stone building has undergone several renovations. In recent years it has been completely renovated: on the outside you can admire the exposed stone, inside the structure has recently returned to its original splendor. New the altar and the ambo. The sacristy was also recovered and the premises used for the public were redone. Inside the building you can admire the precious wooden statue of the Virgin with the Child on her lap which dates back to the period between the end of the 1500s and the beginning of the 1600s. Also worthy of note is the statue of San Bartolomeo, original from the 18th century .

In 2009, by the rector Don Angiolino Bulla, the interior of the church was decorated with precious oriental icons.

The summit of the mountain and the sanctuary are the destination of numerous excursions both on foot and on horseback, once but also to this day they were processions of pilgrims. There is also an ancient, largely dirt track that climbs from Bobbio called the medieval path to the Sanctuary of Monte Penice.


Bobbio

Bobbio is situated on the left bank of river Trebbia, in an area rich in water and settlements since the Neolithic era.

The numerous finds testify the presence of various populations: Ligurians, Celts and after 14 B.C. the Romans.
The nucleus of Bobium rose in 14 B.C. but its history is inextricably linked to the one of the Abbey of San Colombano founded by the cenobite monk Columbanus who reached it in 614 when it received this territory as a gift from the Langobard King Agilulf.

It was a donation of great political significance as Bobbio controlled the great caravan route, the salt road, that from Piacenza, along the Valtrebbia reaches Genoa - a cornerstone of the Byzantines. In Bobbio, Columbanus found only a small-dilapidated church, dedicated to Saint Peter, and decided to restore it. The convent rapidly became populated: already in 643 it counted 150 monks. The first houses inhabited by citizens rose around it.

The Abbey of Bobbio, with its schools, its library, his Scriptorium and its economic organization, quickly became a political power too. Bobbio possessed goods in Valtrebbia, Val Staffora, Val Tidone, val d'Aveto, in the Liguria region, Monferrato and the Langhe, and arrived also at the gates of Turin, around Lake Garda, from Salò to Bardolino, on the Lakes of Mantua, in Piacenza, Ravenna, Genoa, Lucca and Pavia. A rich feud in which the manorial system reached its perfection.

The area, on which the inhabited part develops, is bordered by the River Trebbia and dominated by the Sanctuary of Madonna del Penice, which is located on the namesake mountain. The heart of the village has maintained the medieval architecture perfectly intact.
The symbol of the village is Ponte Gobbo (or the Devil&rsquos bridge), entirely built in stone in Roman times, with a particular profile consisting of 11 irregular arches. The bridge connects the village to the other side of the river and from it, with a brief and suggestive walk on its 'bumps', you can admire the profile of the village, the Monte Penice and the territory surrounding the Trebbia.

In the shops of the old town centre, you can find many typical products of the area, from local wines to jams or organic honey produced by local companies. But also a wide choice of local meats or sweets and bakery products such as tasty salty donuts or the famous almond cake, or even the fragrant porcini mushrooms picked on the surrounding mountains and the truffles. Instead, for those who are looking for a handicraft souvenir in Contrada dell&rsquoOspedale you will find the workshops of carpenters and local artists where you can find artefacts or paintings depicting picturesque corners of the city.

In addition to being rich in art and culture, Bobbio boasts a long series of typical local dishes (that represent the culinary tradition of Piacenza) that have been handed down from many generations, and represent another typical feature of the socio-cultural melting pot that benefited from during the centuries. You should taste the maccheroni alla bobbiese, fresh pasta handmade by using a knitting needle dressed with a stew sauce. The snails alla bobbiese, traditional Christmas Eve dish that you can often find in the winter period and the delicious brittle made with almonds and sugar with which the skilled hands of local producers know how to make surprising shapes. And also pine nuts with ricotta or pìn (in dialect pé da lésa: slide foot, for the typical shape), green gnocchetti with ricotta cheese, traditionally served with a mushroom sauce brachettone alla bobbiese (bràcton, a stuffed pig&rsquos trotter made with pork shoulder, pickled or aged).

Village of Bobbio
Municipality of Bobbio
Province of Piacenza
Emilia-Romagna Region

Inhabitants: 3.577
Surface area: 106.53 sq. Km
Altitude center: 272 m a.s.l.

The Municipality is part of:
I Borghi più belli d'Italia

Acknowledgments
Orange Flag - Italian Touring Club

Municipality of Bobbio
Piazza San Francesco - 29022 Bobbio PC
phone +39 0523962815

Patronal feast
San Colombano - November 23rd


Abbey of Bobbio: photos, description Abbazia di San Colombano)

The Abbey of Bobbio, is also known as San Colombano, was founded by the Irish Holy Columbanus in 614, the year. Around it soon sprang up the town of Bobbio, province of Piacenza in the Italian region Emilia-Romagna). In his time the Abbey was known as a center of resistance to Arianism, and also because of its huge library. It is here that the unfolding events of the legendary novel by Umberto Eco "the name of the rose".

In 590, the year the Lombards king Agilulf married a Catholic Theodelinda and under her influence, and with the participation of the Holy Columban, made the decision about the transition to Christianity. For the sacrament of Agilulf gave Columbano ruined Church and devastated the earth in the town of Abovian Holy asked it is a remote and secluded place to live alone. Near the small Church of San Pietro was soon built a monastery, which after the death colombana had to go through a period of violent resistance to Arianism current in the Christian faith, asserted the supremacy of the Lord-the Son (in the middle of the 7th century). Thanks to the efforts of local monks, every year more and more of the Lombards-ariantsev converted to Catholicism. The fame of the Abbey had reached the shores of Ireland, and the reputation colombana and founded brainchild has attracted in Italy many of his followers. Only in 1803, the year the Abbey of Bobbio was abolished during the reign of Napoleon.

The current Basilica of San Colombano was built in 1456-1530, respectively, in the Renaissance style. It holds the baptismal font in the 9th century. The Central nave is decorated with frescoes of the artist of the 16th century Bernardino Lanzani, and installed in the crypt the sarcophagus with the relics of St. Columban and the first two abbots. Here, in the crypt, deserves the attention of the mosaic floor of the 12th century.

The bell tower of the late 9th century, and a smaller apse of the Church belonged to a more ancient structure of the Romanesque period. Torre del Comune built together with the Basilica in the 15th century.


Abbey and Diocese of Bobbio

The diocese (Ebovium, ou Bobium Dioecesis Eboviensis, ou Bobiensis), which is suffragan to the Archiepiscopal See of Genoa, is coterminous with the civil district of Bobbio. This district is situated in the Province of Pavia and contains, besides Bobbio, its chief town, only two small villages and eighteen communes. The diocese was suppressed from 1803 to 1817, during which time it was annexed to Alexandria, then to Casala. Pius VII re-established it in 1818. Under Bishop Antonio Gianelli a congregation of priests was formed in 1839 under the title of Oblates of St. Alphonsus Liguori. They devote themselves especially to hearing confessions in prisons and hospitals, as well as to spreading good literature among the people. Bobbio also possesses a Congregation of Daughters of Mary, popularly known as Gianelliane.

HISTORY

The origin of the See of Bobbio, indeed of the town itself, is due to the establishment of a monastery here by the Irish saint, Columban, in 614. The Lombards, with other savage tribes, had invaded northern Italy under their leader Alboin in 568. A half-Arian, half-heathen horde, wherever they passed all the horrors of wanton destruction and cruelty marked their track. But at length the new barbarian ruler Agilulph, became less hostile and by degrees even not unfavorably disposed towards the Catholic Faith. Queen Theodelinda, whom he married in 590, was a fervent Catholic she had wonderful influence over her consort, and at last he was converted by the preaching of Columban. From the day of his baptism, Agilulph displayed great zeal for the conversion of his subjects, and for this purpose gave St. Columban a ruined church and devastated district known as Ebovium, which, before the Lombards seized it, had formed part of the Patrimony of St. Peter. Columban had set his heart on this secluded place, for while intent on instructing the Lombards he chose solitude for his monks and himself. By the side of this little church, which was dedicated to St. Peter, soon arose the walls of an abbey. Here the nucleus of what was to be the most celebrated library in Italy was formed by the Mss. which Columban had brought from Ireland and the treatises of which he himself was the author.

The sainted founder of Bobbio was laid to rest (23 November, 615), but his crosier passed into worthy hands. The names of St. Attala (627) and St. Bertulf (640) will live forever in ecclesiastical history. Both were conspicuous for holiness and learning, and both inherited Columban s apostolic spirit. It was indeed sorely needed, for a reaction towards Arianism set in, which became formidable under the Arian king, Rotharis (636-652). Arioald, the immediate predecessor of Rotharis, who became a Catholic, had before his conversion caused St. Bladulf, a monk of Bobbio, to be assassinated, because Bladulf would not salute him, as being an Arian. It is said that Attala restored Bladulf to life and delivered Arioald from a diabolical possession, the punishment of his crime and that this two-fold miracle led to Arioald's conversion. In 628, when St. Bertulf made a pilgrimage to Rome, Honorius I exempted Bobbio from episcopal jurisdiction, thus making the abbey immediately subject to the Holy See. Under the next abbot, Bobolen, the rule of St. Benedict was introduced. At first its observance was optional, but in e course of time it superseded the more austere rule hitherto in use, and Bobbio joined the Congregation of Monte Cassino. In 643, at the request of Rotharis and Queen Gundelberga, Pope Theodore I granted to the Abbot of Bobbio the use of the mitre and other pontificals. It has even been asserted that Bobbio had a bishop, named Peter Aldus, as early as the seventh century, but according to the best authorities (Ughelli, Gams, and others), the See of Bobbio was not founded till four centuries later, although recent investigation has shown that the name of its first bishop really was Peter Aldus (Savio, 158).

From the seventh century on, in the midst of widespread turmoil and ignorance, Bobbio remained a home of piety and culture. Through the efforts of St. Columban's disciples, increasing numbers of the Lombards were received into the Church. But during the first half of the seventh century, the large tract of country lying between Turin and Verona, Genoa and Milan, was m a very irreligious and disturbed state and even idolatry was not unknown. In fact not until the reign of the usurper Grimoald (663-673), himself a convert, was the bulk of the nation brought into the Church. But from that time Arianism disappeared in the West. The historians of the abbey regard as one of its chief glories the prominent part which it took in the final contest with this heresy. Theodelinda's nephew, the pious Arribert (653--663), restored all the lands of Bobbio which belonged by right to the Prince of the Apostles. Arribert II also gladly confirmed this restitution to John VII in 707. The unruly Lombards soon dispossessed the pope, but in 756 Aistulf was compelled by Pepin to give up the lands. In 774 Charlemagne made liberal grants to the Abbey. In 1153 Frederick Barbarossa confirmed by two charters various rights and possessions. Thus it came to pass that the abbots were for centuries entrusted with a large administration of temporals.

The fame of Bobbio reached the shores of Ireland, and the memory of Columban was dear to the hearts of his countrymen. Bobolen's successor was St. Comgall who had resigned his see in Ireland in order to become a monk of Bobbio St. Cummian who did the same died in the abbey about 730 (Holder-Egger in "Mon. Germ. Hist.") and the learned St. Dungal (d. after 827) bequeathed to the abbey his valuable library, consisting of some seventy volumes, among which was the famous "Antiphonary of Bangor ". A tenth-century catalogue, published by Muratori, shows that at that period every branch of knowledge, divine and human, was represented in this library. Many of the books have been lost, the rest have long since been dispersed and are still reckoned among the chief treasures of the later collections which possess them. In 1616 Cardinal Federigo Borromeo took for the Ambrosian Library of Milan eighty-six volumes, including the famous "Bobbio Missal", written about 911, the Antiphonary of Bangor", and the palimpsests of Ulfila's Gothic version of the Bible. Twenty-six volumes were given, in 1618, to Paul V for the Vatican Library. Many others were sent to Turin, where, besides those in the Royal Archives, there were seventy-one in the University Library until the disastrous fire of 26 January, 1904. As scholars of later ages have owed a great deal to the Bobbio manuscripts, so, too, did those of the tenth century. Gerard of Aurillac, for example, who was afterwards Pope Sylvester II, became Abbot of Bobbio in 982 and with the aid of the numerous ancient treatises which he found there he composed his celebrated work on geometry. And indeed it appears that at a time when Greek was almost unknown in western Europe, the Irish monks of Bobbio read Aristotle and Demosthenes in the original tongue.

In the year 1014, the Emperor Henry II, on the occasion of his own coronation in Rome, obtained from Benedict VIII the erection of Bobbio as a see. Peter Aldus, its first bishop, had been Abbot of Bobbio since 999, and his episcopal successors for a long time lived in the abbey, where many of them had been monks. According to Ughelli and others, Bobbio was made a suffragan see of Genoa in 1133 but Savio finds this subordination mentioned for the first time in a Bull of Alexander III, dated 19 April, 1161. From time to time disputes arose between the bishop and the monks, and in 1199 Innocent III issued two Bulls, restoring the abbey in spirituals and temporals, and empowering the bishop to depose an abbot if within a certain time he did not obey.


Attractions in Bobbio

Saint Columbanus Abbey

The Saint Columbanus abbey is a large complex but only a few areas are open to the public. The ground floor corridor, the yard, and the main cloister can be explored by visitors. The abbey is also home to the Abbey museum which has an impressive collection of artworks and objects that date back to the Renaissance, Medieval and Roman age. The Town Museum is also located in the complex.

Hills over Bobbio

Basilica of Saint Columbanus, Bobbio

The Basilica of Saint Columbanus was originally built in the 15 th century over the remains of an old 10th-century church. The interior of the basilica is extremely beautiful with nave frescoes dating back to the 16th century. There is a 15th-century gothic wooden choir, a 12th-century mosaic, a marble sarcophagus dating back to the 15th century, two marble tombstones, and a beautiful 12th-century gate.

Main Square in Bobbio

Malaspina Dal-Verme Castle

The castle was built in the 14 th century on a hill that overlooks the town. Over the centuries, the castle has been damaged many times and the remains of the castle, two small towers and the defense walls that still exist are open to visitors. The castle provides good views of the town and the surrounding landscape.

The Cathedral of Bobbio

The cathedral of Bobbio was originally built in the 11 th century and has two large towers. Much of the façade that visitors can see today dates back to the 15 th century and the three portals of the cathedral are done in the gothic style of architecture. The interior of the cathedral has three naves and beautiful 18th-century decorations. Saint John Chapel can be visited through the right transept where beautiful 15th-century frescoes of the Annunciation are done.

Stone buildings in Bobbio

The Old Bridge

The old bridge is 280 meters long and has eleven unequal arches. It is believed that the bridge dates back to the Roman age, however, it is first documented in 1196. The bridge is known by several different names, the Devil’s Bridge and the Hunchback Bridge due to its irregular shape. Several legends are attached to the origin of the bridge.

Cathedral in Bobbio

Getting to Bobbio

Bobbio is located 45 km from Piacenza. The best way to reach the town is by driving down visitors who have their own car can easily drive down to Bobbio. From Piacenza visitors can take the state highway 45 Piacenza-Genova to reach Bobbio. The landscape here is quite beautiful, the highway runs through the valley of the River and has some very beautiful views so driving down to the town is quite enjoyable. Along the road, visitors would also come across several small villages.

Moving Around the Town

Bobbio is spread over an area of 106 sq km, but most areas can be explored on foot. The churches, monuments and the important attractions are all concentrated close to the center of the town so it is easy to visit most attractions on foot. Those who have their own car can also visit the other parts of the town by car. The locals mainly use the state buses for commuting so visitors can use them as well if they do not have a car.

Stay and Accommodation

Bobbio is quite a small town and although many visitors come to the nearby Trebbia River, there aren’t many good hotels in the town. Most visitors come to Bobbia as a day excursion for Piacenza and the nearby towns and do not generally spend a night in the town. There are only a handful of farm houses and old country homes on the outskirts of the town that are available on rent to visitors. Most good hotels are located in the nearby centers of Piacenza and Pavia so visitors can stay there and visit Bobbio during the day. There are a few B&B in the town like B&B San Nicola and B&B Dar Dom where visitors can stay.

Bobbio River

Eating in Bobbio

Although there aren’t many hotels in the town, there are plenty of options in terms of restaurants and pizzerias. Bobbio has quite a lot of good places to dine out where visitors can find simple Italian dishes made from local ingredients, good quality olive oil and local cheese varieties. Good wines are available almost everywhere and there are also a few places where visitors can try traditional desserts and pastries. Some of the best restaurants in Bobbio are Ristorante II Vecchio Mulino, Entoca San Nicola, Ristorante Ra Ca Longa, Ristorante La Scarpone, Ristorante Replica and Ristorante Locanda Nobili.

Shopping in Bobbio

There are only a few places in Bobbio where visitors can shop. The local old market where visitors shop for their daily requirements is the best place to shop. There are a few good shops that sell terracotta pottery and artifacts in the older section of the town. Apart from this visitors can also purchase locally made fabrics, textiles and food items. The best things to purchase in Bobbio are cheese, olive oil and local wine.


Bible Encyclopedias

The diocese (Ebovium, ou Bobium Dioecesis Eboviensis, ou Bobiensis), which is suffragan to the Archiepiscopal See of Genoa, is coterminous with the civil district of Bobbio. This district is situated in the Province of Pavia and contains, besides Bobbio, its chief town, only two small villages and eighteen communes. The diocese was suppressed from 1803 to 1817, during which time it was annexed to Alexandria, then to Casala. Pius VII re-established it in 1818. Under Bishop Antonio Gianelli a congregation of priests was formed in 1839 under the title of Oblates of St. Alphonsus Liguori. They devote themselves especially to hearing confessions in prisons and hospitals, as well as to spreading good literature among the people. Bobbio also possesses a Congregation of Daughters of Mary, popularly known as Gianelliane.

The origin of the See of Bobbio, indeed of the town itself, is due to the establishment of a monastery here by the Irish saint, Columban, in 614. The Lombards, with other savage tribes, had invaded northern Italy under their leader Alboin in 568. A half-Arian, half-heathen horde, wherever they passed all the horrors of wanton destruction and cruelty marked their track. But at length the new barbarian ruler Agilulph, became less hostile and by degrees even not unfavorably disposed towards the Catholic Faith. Queen Theodelinda, whom he married in 590, was a fervent Catholic she had wonderful influence over her consort, and at last he was converted by the preaching of Columban. From the day of his baptism, Agilulph displayed great zeal for the conversion of his subjects, and for this purpose gave St. Columban a ruined church and devastated district known as Ebovium, which, before the Lombards seized it, had formed part of the Patrimony of St. Peter. Columban had set his heart on this secluded place, for while intent on instructing the Lombards he chose solitude for his monks and himself. By the side of this little church, which was dedicated to St. Peter, soon arose the walls of an abbey. Here the nucleus of what was to be the most celebrated library in Italy was formed by the Mss. which Columban had brought from Ireland and the treatises of which he himself was the author.

The sainted founder of Bobbio was laid to rest (23 November, 615), but his crosier passed into worthy hands. The names of St. Attala (627) and St. Bertulf (640) will live forever in ecclesiastical history. Both were conspicuous for holiness and learning, and both inherited Columban's apostolic spirit. It was indeed sorely needed, for a reaction towards Arianism set in, which became formidable under the Arian king, Rotharis (636-652). Arioald, the immediate predecessor of Rotharis, who became a Catholic, had before his conversion caused St. Bladulf, a monk of Bobbio, to be assassinated, because Bladulf would not salute him, as being an Arian. It is said that Attala restored Bladulf to life and delivered Arioald from a diabolical possession, the punishment of his crime and that this two-fold miracle led to Arioald's conversion. In 628, when St. Bertulf made a pilgrimage to Rome, Honorius I exempted Bobbio from episcopal jurisdiction, thus making the abbey immediately subject to the Holy See. Under the next abbot, Bobolen, the rule of St. Benedict was introduced. At first its observance was optional, but in e course of time it superseded the more austere rule hitherto in use, and Bobbio joined the Congregation of Monte Cassino. In 643, at the request of Rotharis and Queen Gundelberga, Pope Theodore I granted to the Abbot of Bobbio the use of the mitre and other pontificals. It has even been asserted that Bobbio had a bishop, named Peter Aldus, as early as the seventh century, but according to the best authorities (Ughelli, Gams, and others), the See of Bobbio was not founded till four centuries later, although recent investigation has shown that the name of its first bishop really was Peter Aldus (Savio, 158).

From the seventh century on, in the midst of widespread turmoil and ignorance, Bobbio remained a home of piety and culture. Through the efforts of St. Columban's disciples, increasing numbers of the Lombards were received into the Church. But during the first half of the seventh century, the large tract of country lying between Turin and Verona, Genoa and Milan, was in a very irreligious and disturbed state and even idolatry was not unknown. In fact not until the reign of the usurper Grimoald (663-673), himself a convert, was the bulk of the nation brought into the Church. But from that time Arianism disappeared in the West. The historians of the abbey regard as one of its chief glories the prominent part which it took in the final contest with this heresy. Theodelinda's nephew, the pious Arribert (653--663), restored all the lands of Bobbio which belonged by right to the Prince of the Apostles. Arribert II also gladly confirmed this restitution to John VII in 707. The unruly Lombards soon dispossessed the pope, but in 756 Aistulf was compelled by Pepin to give up the lands. In 774 Charlemagne made liberal grants to the Abbey. In 1153 Frederick Barbarossa confirmed by two charters various rights and possessions. Thus it came to pass that the abbots were for centuries entrusted with a large administration of temporals.

The fame of Bobbio reached the shores of Ireland, and the memory of Columban was dear to the hearts of his countrymen. Bobolen's successor was St. Comgall who had resigned his see in Ireland in order to become a monk of Bobbio St. Cummian who did the same died in the abbey about 730 (Holder-Egger in "Mon. Germ. Hist.") and the learned St. Dungal (d. after 827) bequeathed to the abbey his valuable library, consisting of some seventy volumes, among which was the famous "Antiphonary of Bangor". A tenth-century catalogue, published by Muratori, shows that at that period every branch of knowledge, divine and human, was represented in this library. Many of the books have been lost, the rest have long since been dispersed and are still reckoned among the chief treasures of the later collections which possess them. In 1616 Cardinal Federigo Borromeo took for the Ambrosian Library of Milan eighty-six volumes, including the famous "Bobbio Missal", written about 911, the Antiphonary of Bangor", and the palimpsests of Ulfila's Gothic version of the Bible. Twenty-six volumes were given, in 1618, to Paul V for the Vatican Library. Many others were sent to Turin, where, besides those in the Royal Archives, there were seventy-one in the University Library until the disastrous fire of 26 January, 1904. As scholars of later ages have owed a great deal to the Bobbio manuscripts, so, too, did those of the tenth century. Gerard of Aurillac, for example, who was afterwards Pope Sylvester II, became Abbot of Bobbio in 982 and with the aid of the numerous ancient treatises which he found there he composed his celebrated work on geometry. And indeed it appears that at a time when Greek was almost unknown in western Europe, the Irish monks of Bobbio read Aristotle and Demosthenes in the original tongue.

In the year 1014, the Emperor Henry II, on the occasion of his own coronation in Rome, obtained from Benedict VIII the erection of Bobbio as a see. Peter Aldus, its first bishop, had been Abbot of Bobbio since 999, and his episcopal successors for a long time lived in the abbey, where many of them had been monks. According to Ughelli and others, Bobbio was made a suffragan see of Genoa in 1133 but Savio finds this subordination mentioned for the first time in a Bull of Alexander III, dated 19 April, 1161. From time to time disputes arose between the bishop and the monks, and in 1199 Innocent III issued two Bulls, restoring the abbey in spirituals and temporals, and empowering the bishop to depose an abbot if within a certain time he did not obey.


Assista o vídeo: Italy by Drone 4K 2019 - Tuscany