Tomich DE-242 - História

Tomich DE-242 - História

Tomich
(DE-242: dp. 1.200; 1. 306'0 ", b. 36'10"; dr. 12'3 "; s. 19,5 k .; cpl. 216, a. 3 3", 2 40 mm., 8 20 mm, 2 dct., 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (Hh.); Cl. Edsall)

Tomich (DE-242) foi estabelecido em 15 de setembro de 1942 em Houston, Texas, pela Brown Shipbuilding Co .; lançado em 28 de dezembro de 1942; patrocinado pela Sra. O. L. Hammonds; e comissionado em 27 de julho de 1943, o tenente Comdr. H. A. Hull no comando.

Após o comissionamento, Tomich partiu de Galveston em 12 de agosto e chegou a New Orleans no dia seguinte. A escolta de destróieres partiu das águas da Louisiana no dia 19, com destino às Bermudas e quatro semanas de treinamento de shakedown. Em 23 de setembro, Tomich, na companhia de Farquhar (DE-139), partiu das Bermudas e escoltou Merrimack (AO-37) para Norfolk antes de embarcar para Charleston, S.C., e disponibilidade.

Tomich partiu para Cuba em 9 de outubro e continuou seu treinamento em águas caribenhas, chegando à Baía de Guantánamo no dia 12. Cinco dias depois, o navio de escolta se encontrou com o transporte do Exército George Washington e a escoltou até Kingston, na Jamaica. Tomich voltou imediatamente a Cuba. Ao chegar de volta à Baía de Guantánamo no mesmo dia, 17 de outubro, ela recebeu ordens para procurar Dorado (SS-248), que partiu de New London em 6 de outubro e que deveria chegar à Zona do Canal no dia 14. Tomich procurou o submarino desaparecido até o dia 22, mas não conseguiu localizar qualquer vestígio dele.

Seis dias depois, a escolta de destróieres partiu para Hampton Roads para rastrear Pike (SS-173) até Norfolk. Libertada de suas obrigações no dia 30, ela retornou à Baía de Guantánamo antes de seguir para o norte novamente e fazer o porto em Norfolk em 5 de novembro.

Nove dias depois, Tomich entrou na tela do Convoy UGS-24, com destino ao Marrocos francês. Em 2 de dezembro, depois que todas as suas cargas chegaram ao porto, ela lançou âncora em Casablanca. Chegando a Nova York na manhã de Natal de 1943. depois de escoltar o Convoy GUS-24, Tomich garantiu a disponibilidade ao lado do cais "K" do Estaleiro da Marinha de Nova York, que durou até 1944.

Em 5 de janeiro de 1944, Tomich partiu do pátio e seguiu para Block Island Sound para treinamento de artilharia e guerra anti-submarino perto de Montauk Point, Long Island. Cinco dias depois, o navio partiu para Norfolk Va., Em companhia de outras unidades da Divisão de Escolta (CortDiv) 7, para se juntar a outros navios da Força-Tarefa 63 na escolta do Convoy UGS-30 para Casablanca. Depois de uma breve corrida independente para Gibraltar, onde atracou ao lado do famoso encouraçado HMS Warspite Tomich, partiu da base britânica em 4 de fevereiro e se encontrou com o Convoy GUS-29 no dia seguinte.

Separada da tela do comboio no dia 8, ela seguiu para os Açores, onde encontrou SS Phoenis Banning e SS Abraham Baldwin. Voltando ao GUS-29 com seus dois pupilos, Tomich continuou as tarefas de escolta oceânica até o dia 17. No dia seguinte, a escolta de contratorpedeiro recebeu novamente ordens para serviço independente e escoltou Mattaponi (AO-41) e SS Sangara para as Bermudas antes de retornar ao norte para o Estaleiro da Marinha de Nova York para disponibilidade a partir de 22 de fevereiro.

Tomich partiu em 5 de março de 1944 para Bayonne, N.J., onde passou por deperming antes de seguir para Montauk Point para um treinamento de atualização. o

A escolta de destróieres navegou para Hampton Roads e chegou a Norfolk no dia 11. Dois dias depois, ela partiu para a Tunísia como escolta para o Convoy UGS-36.

Em 30 de março, o comboio passou pelo Estreito de Gibraltar com destino a Bizerte. Durante a vigília da noite do dia 31, Tomich localizou um contato de sonar e foi para os aposentos gerais, procedendo para rastrear o eco. Soltando dois padrões de 13 cargas, Tomich permaneceu no quartel geral durante a noite e instituiu uma patrulha anti-submarina em companhia do HMS Black Swan. Por volta das 0401, quando Tomich voltou à tela, seus vigias avistaram aeronaves inimigas a bombordo. Em zigue-zague independente na proa de bombordo do comboio, a escolta de contratorpedeiro abriu fogo com sua bateria antiaérea inteira às 0410. Durante o ataque de 20 minutos, a aeronave inimiga, Ju bimotor. 88's, veio baixo e rápido; mas o pesado fogo antiaéreo das escoltas afastou seus atacantes sem prejuízo para eles próprios.

Depois de todas as suas cargas terem chegado ao porto com segurança, Tomich foi designado para o Comboio GUS36 com destino a casa, mas foi destacado em 13 de abril para prosseguir para Oran, na Argélia, para a inspeção de seu eixo de estibordo. Depois que a investigação revelou que tudo estava em ordem, o navio voltou ao comboio no dia 14. Posteriormente, ela chegou a Nova York em 2 de maio e ficou disponível no estaleiro da Marinha antes de seguir para Casco Bay para um treinamento de atualização.

Retornando a Norfolk no dia 20, Tomich navegou como parte da TF 64, escoltando o Convoy UGS-43 com destino a Bizerte. Depois de chegar ao Norte de África, Tomich foi destacado do comboio por tempo suficiente para escoltar o Carib (AT-82), que rebocava Menges (DE-320) para os Açores. Quando ela chegou à Horta, Tomich voltou para o Convoy GUS-43 com destino a casa.

A disponibilidade no New York Navy Yard no início de julho precedeu novos exercícios de treinamento em Casco Bay Maine, antes de o navio retornar a Norfolk em 1º de agosto para iniciar outra missão de escolta de ida e volta com UGS50 e GUS-50. Após a disponibilidade de outro pátio, ela fez um comboio costeiro correr de Nova York a Boston. Então, o treinamento em Casco Bay ocupou o navio em outubro. No dia 10, Tomich chegou a Quonset Point, R.I., para testes especiais de radar e guerra anti-submarino e exercícios com Barracuda (SS-163) e aviões baseados em terra da Estação Aérea Naval de Quonset Point. No dia 13, Tomich partiu da área e voltou para Casco Bay no dia 14 para mais exercícios de treinamento antes de chegar a Norfolk em 4 de novembro.

Em 7 de novembro, na companhia do resto do CortDiv 7 e Core (CVE-13), Tomich partiu da Base Operacional Naval em Hampton Roads para as Bermudas e treinou um grupo anti-submarino "caçador-assassino". Chegando em 10 de novembro, o grupo fez exercícios intensivos pelo restante do mês, antes de retornar a Nova York em 6 de dezembro. Tomich operou ao longo da costa leste dos Estados Unidos em operações anti-submarino no Atlântico ocidental pelo restante do ano de 1944 e até a primavera de 1945.

Após uma reforma no Boston Navy Yard em maio e junho, o navio seguiu para o Caribe. Saindo da Baía de Guantánamo em 16 de julho de 1945, ela transitou pelo Canal do Panamá no dia 18 e chegou a San Diego no dia 26. Estando fora daquele porto no dia 31, ela conduziu exercícios durante a rota para o Havaí e chegou a Pearl Harbor em 7 de agosto, quando a guerra no Pacífico chegava ao seu clímax. O avanço inexorável das forças aéreas e navais americanas - com o lançamento de bombas atômicas em Hiroshima e Nagasaki - obrigou o Japão a se render incondicionalmente. Enquanto isso, Tomich continuou os exercícios de treinamento em águas havaianas, antes de partir de Pearl Harbor em 20 de agosto, com destino ao Pacífico ocidental.

Tomich fez o porto em Saipan em 29 de agosto antes de seguir independentemente para Bonins em 1 de setembro. A escolta do contratorpedeiro substituiu Helm (DD388) na estação de resgate ar-mar em 5 de setembro por um período de cinco dias antes de seguir para Iwo Jima para reabastecimento. Ela operou em águas entre Iwo Jima, Okinawa e Saipan pelo resto do ano de 1945 e em 1946 antes de seguir para a China. Ela chegou ao porto de Tsingtao em 13 de janeiro de 1946. Permaneceu em serviço nas águas chinesas até 10 de abril, quando partiu de Xangai para o Havaí. Chegando a Pearl Harbor em 21 de abril, ela seguiu pela costa oeste para o Canal do Panamá.

Após sua chegada à costa leste, o navio passou por preparações de inativação em Charleston, S.C., de maio até o final de agosto. Tomich então seguiu para Mayport, Flórida, e chegou em 4 de setembro. Seguindo outros procedimentos de inativação lá, Tomich foi colocado fora de serviço, na reserva, em Green Cove Springs, Flórida, em 20 de setembro de 1946. Ela permaneceu lá até seu nome ser riscado da lista da Marinha em 1 de novembro de 1972, e ela foi descartada .

Tomich recebeu uma estrela de batalha pelo serviço prestado na Segunda Guerra Mundial.


Tomich DE-242 - História

Peter Tomich nasceu em 3 de junho de 1893. De acordo com nossos registros, a Califórnia era sua residência ou estado de alistamento e o condado de Los Angeles incluído no registro arquivístico. Temos Los Angeles listada como a cidade. Ele havia se alistado na Marinha dos Estados Unidos. Entrou no serviço militar regular. Servido durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial. Tomich tinha o posto de suboficial. Sua ocupação militar ou especialidade era o chefe Watertender. A atribuição do número de serviço foi 2276370. Anexado ao USS Utah. Durante seu serviço na Segunda Guerra Mundial, o Suboficial da Marinha, Tomich, passou por um evento traumático que acabou resultando na perda de vidas em 7 de dezembro de 1941. Circunstâncias registradas atribuídas a: Morto em ação. Local do incidente: Pearl Harbor, Havaí.

Peter Tomich (Tonic), às vezes registrado como "Gerald Victor", nasceu em 1893 em Prolog no que hoje é a Bósnia-Herzegovina, perto da fronteira com a Croácia. Ele imigrou para os Estados Unidos em 1913 e ingressou no Exército dos Estados Unidos em 1917. Tornou-se cidadão norte-americano e, dez dias após o término de seu alistamento no Exército, ingressou na Marinha dos Estados Unidos.

Ele estava encarregado da sala da caldeira a bordo do USS Utah em Pearl Harbor durante o ataque japonês. Depois que o navio foi torpedeado, Peter desceu pela escotilha, tirou seus homens do navio que estava afundando, protegeu as caldeiras e se recusou a deixar seu posto quando o Utah tombou na água.

Em 4 de março de 1942, o Sr. Tomich foi condecorado postumamente com a Medalha de Honra do Congresso. Ninguém jamais reivindicou a medalha, pois nenhum parente próximo foi encontrado. A medalha, que foi exposta em navios e em edifícios do governo e museus, agora está sendo exibida no Washington Navy Yard Museum.

O contratorpedeiro escolta USS Tomich (DE-242), 1943-1974, foi nomeado em sua homenagem. Ele tem um memorial em alguma área onde viveu, Chardon, Condado de Geauga, Ohio. Ele tinha um primo que foi nomeado seu parente mais próximo e estava morando em Los Angeles, condado de Los Angeles, Califórnia.

Peter Tomich está enterrado ou memorializado no Courts of the Missing, National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific e USS Utah Memorial, Honolulu, Hawaii. Este é um local da American Battle Monuments Commission.

A HISTÓRIA DE TOMICH

Matthew e Garnella Tomich chegaram aos Berkshires como recém-casados ​​em meados da década de 1950. Lá, junto com seu bom amigo da faculdade, Donald Ward, eles compraram o antigo berçário de Dolby no coração de Great Barrington, Massachusetts. Depois de mudar o nome para Ward’s Nursery, Donald, um horticultor, administrou o viveiro enquanto Matt, um arquiteto paisagista, cuidava da construção paisagística.

Depois de muitos anos de sucesso em parceria com Don, Matt decidiu perseguir seu sonho de estabelecer uma empresa familiar, na qual seus filhos tivessem a oportunidade de se envolverem profundamente, e fundou a Matthew Tomich Landscaping em 1975. Sua operação prosperou em Berkshires até 1981, quando Matt e Garnella tomaram a difícil decisão de mudar a empresa e sua família para Venice, Flórida, para buscar trabalho durante todo o ano na economia em expansão do sul.

Na Flórida, seus três filhos, Christopher, Mark e Peter se estabeleceriam de forma decisiva na empresa e na indústria de paisagismo e construção. Em 1982, o segundo filho de Matt, Mark, migrou de volta para o norte, para Berkshires, onde se juntou a Ward’s Nursery para operar sua divisão de construção de paisagismo, assim como seu pai havia feito antes.

Os Berkshires ligaram novamente em 1988, quando Matthew e Garnella voltaram para o norte e se juntaram a Mark e sua esposa Susie. Juntos, eles estabeleceram o que agora é conhecido como Tomich Landscape Design & amp Construction. Enquanto isso, Christopher e Peter comandavam sua própria divisão em Veneza até 1994, quando Christopher e sua família também voltaram para o norte. Mark e Christopher têm criado paisagens imaginativas e impressionantes em Berkshires desde então, juntos operando a Tomich Landscape Design & amp Construction fora de Sheffield, enquanto Peter continua a dirigir uma divisão de muito sucesso na Flórida.

Mais recentemente, o filho de Christopher, Adam, e sua família encontraram o caminho de volta para Berkshires e se juntaram à empresa para continuar o legado, os serviços e as criações inspiradoras da Tomich Landscape Design & amp Construction por muitos anos.

Agora felizes aposentados, Matthew e Garnella adoram ver seus filhos e sua família prosperarem, tendo um orgulho extra em saber que a empresa está em sua terceira geração de entusiastas da paisagem. Cada um de nós espera colaborar com você e consolidá-lo como parte de nossa história também!


Tomich DE-242 - História

Por SANDRA JONTZ | STARS AND STRIPES Publicado: 20 de maio de 2006

A BORDO DA USS ENTERPRISE & # 8212 Em 12 minutos, o chefe Watertender Peter Tomich passou de comum a extraordinário, de simples marinheiro a herói.

& # 8220No comum, a busca pela sobrevivência supera as garras do medo & # 8221 o almirante Harry Ulrich disse pungentemente quinta-feira quando a Marinha deu ao marinheiro & # 8217s mais próximos um reconhecimento póstumo concedido a Tomich 64 anos atrás.

& # 8220Mas, no extraordinário, os homens comuns tornam-se incomuns. Eles colocam o medo de lado. Eles aceitaram o dever e o tempo não permitiu a sobrevivência ”, disse Ulrich durante uma cerimônia na cabine de comando do porta-aviões USS Enterprise, ancorado a poucos quilômetros da costa de Split, na Croácia.

Quando seu navio torpedeado, o USS Utah, afundou em Pearl Harbor, Tomich, de herança croata, correu na direção oposta da tripulação em fuga para a sala da caldeira do navio para evitar que as caldeiras explodissem para que outros pudessem escapar.

Suas ações em 7 de dezembro de 1941, renderam-lhe a alta condecoração militar da nação & # 8217 & # 8212 a Medalha de Honra.

& # 8220Seria injusto pedir que você fizesse o que Peter Tomich fez & # 8221 Ulrich, comandante das Forças Navais dos EUA na Europa, disse aos mais de 60 suboficiais que se reuniram. & # 8220Seria justo pedir que você esteja pronto para fazer o que Peter Tomich fez. & # 8221

Tomich fez o que os chefes deveriam fazer: assumir o comando, liderar pelo exemplo e proteger seus marinheiros, disse o suboficial sênior Ellis King, que voou de Nápoles, Itália, para Split para a cerimônia de quinta-feira e # 8217.

& # 8220Nenhum de nós deseja estar nessa situação & # 8221 King disse. & # 8220Mas essas âncoras em nossos colares representam que estamos prontos, que somos líderes. & # 8221

Tomich & # 8217s parentesco mais próximo, tenente-coronel do exército croata aposentado Srecko Herceg Tonic, aceitou uma réplica da medalha, dizendo que estava honrado por ser parente de um homem que deu sua vida pelos outros, e cujas ações refletem a determinação do Povo croata.

& # 8220É a coragem de grandes pessoas como Peter que define & # 8230 o espírito deste país & # 8217 & # 8221 Herceg Tonic disse.

A Marinha dos Estados Unidos homenageou Tomich de outras maneiras. Um navio de escolta destruidor, agora desativado e vendido para sucata, já teve o nome de USS Tomich, DE-242.

Em agosto de 1989, a US Navy & # 8217s Senior Enlisted Academy em Newport, R.I., foi nomeada em homenagem a Tomich.

A cerimônia de quinta-feira foi tanto sobre homenagear os descendentes de Tomich com a entrega de uma medalha quanto sobre suboficiais da marinha prestando homenagem a um dos seus, disse o suboficial sênior Charles Britt após a cerimônia de aproximadamente uma hora.

Uma reação também destacada por Ulrich.

& # 8220Para os suboficiais de hoje & # 8217s & # 8212, você recebeu um herói. Você o fez seu patrono, & # 8221 Ulrich disse. & # 8220Você escolheu bem. & # 8221


Tomich DE-242 - História

Recebedores de medalha de honra
para Pearl Harbor


THOMAS JAMES REEVES
9 de dezembro de 1895 7 de dezembro de 1941

Posto e organização: Radio Electrician (Warrant Officer), Chief Petty Officer (Chief Radioman) Marinha dos EUA
Anos de serviço: 1917 - 1919 (Reserva da Marinha),
1920 - 1941 (Marinha)
Credenciado para: Connecticut
Prêmios: Medalha de Honra, concedida postumamente Thomas James Reeves, nascido em Thomaston, Connecticut, em 9 de dezembro de 1895, era um radialista da Marinha dos EUA que se tornou o homônimo da escolta de contratorpedeiros USS Reeves. Reeves foi morto durante o ataque de 7 de dezembro de 1941 a Pearl Harbor e foi condecorado postumamente com a Medalha de Honra.
Ele se alistou na Reserva Naval dos Estados Unidos como eletricista de terceira classe em 20 de julho de 1917. Liberado do serviço em 21 de julho de 1919, ele foi chamado de volta ao serviço ativo e foi transferido para a Marinha regular em 16 de abril de 1920 e serviu até ser dispensado em 21 de agosto de 1921. Em 12 Em outubro de 1921, ele se alistou novamente na Marinha, tornando-se assim sua carreira.
Avançado nas taxas para o radialista-chefe, Reeves estava servindo no encouraçado Califórnia (BB-44) quando os japoneses atacaram Pearl Harbor, em 7 de dezembro de 1941. Durante esse ataque, os guindastes de munição mecanizada no encouraçado foram colocados fora de serviço. Reeves & quot. por iniciativa própria, em uma passagem em chamas, auxiliou na manutenção de um suprimento de munição à mão para os canhões antiaéreos até ser vencido por fumaça e fogo que resultaram em sua morte. & quot Por sua conduta distinta, RMC Reeves foi condecorado postumamente com o Medalha de Honra.

Citação da medalha de honra: & quotPara conduta distinta na linha de sua profissão, coragem extraordinária e desconsideração de sua própria segurança durante o ataque à Frota em Pearl Harbor, pelas forças japonesas em 7 de dezembro de 1941. Depois que os guinchos de munição mecanizada foram retirados de ação no USS Califórnia, Reeves, por iniciativa própria, em uma passagem em chamas, auxiliou na manutenção de um suprimento de munição manual para os canhões antiaéreos até ser vencido por fumaça e fogo, o que resultou em sua morte. & Quot

Em 1943, o contratorpedeiro escolta USS Reeves (DE-156) foi nomeado em sua homenagem.


Tenente Donald K. Ross, por volta de 1944 DONALD KIRBY ROSS
8 de dezembro de 1910 27 de maio de 1992

Posto e organização: Maquinista, Marinha dos EUA
Serviço inscrito em: Denver, Colorado
Anos de serviço: 1929 - 1956
Posto Final: Capitão
Batalhas: Ataque a Pearl Harbor, Batalha da Normandia, Operação Dragão
Prêmios: Medalha de Honra
Local de morte: Bremerton, Washington Donald Kirby Ross (8 de dezembro de 1910 a 27 de maio de 1992), nascido em Beverly, Kansas, foi um oficial da Marinha dos Estados Unidos que recebeu a Medalha de Honra.
Ross alistou-se na Marinha dos Estados Unidos em Denver, Colorado, em 3 de junho de 1929 e graduou-se honorário da empresa no treinamento básico, San Diego, Califórnia. Ele concluiu o Machinist Mate School, Norfolk, Virgínia. Em primeiro lugar em sua classe e foi designado para o USS Henderson ( AP-1) em uma execução de serviço na China.
Enquanto servia no navio-hospital Relief (AH-1), Ross viu sua primeira ação (com os fuzileiros navais) na Nicarágua em 1931. Avançando nas taxas do caça-minas Brant (AM-24), do destróier Simpson (DD-221) e do cruzador Minneapolis (CA-36), ele alcançou o posto de Subtenente Maquinista em outubro de 1940 e foi designado para o encouraçado Nevada (BB-36).
Durante o ataque aéreo japonês de 7 de dezembro de 1941 a Pearl Harbor, Nevada foi seriamente danificado por bombas e torpedos. Ross se distinguiu por assumir a responsabilidade de fornecer energia para colocar o navio em marcha - o único couraçado a fazê-lo durante o ataque japonês.

Citação da medalha de honra: & quotPara conduta distinta na linha de sua profissão, coragem extraordinária e desconsideração de sua própria vida durante o ataque à Frota em Pearl Harbor, Território do Havaí, pelas forças japonesas em 7 de dezembro de 1941. Quando sua estação no sala de dínamo avançada do USS Nevada tornou-se quase insustentável devido à fumaça, vapor e calor, o maquinista Ross forçou seus homens a deixar aquela estação e executou todas as tarefas ele mesmo até ficar cego e inconsciente. Ao ser resgatado e ressuscitado, ele retornou e garantiu a sala do dínamo dianteiro e procedeu para a sala do dínamo posterior, onde mais tarde foi novamente inconsciente por exaustão. Novamente recuperando a consciência, ele retornou à sua posição, onde permaneceu até ser instruído a abandoná-la. & Quot

Ross foi promovido a Maquinista Chefe em março de 1942. Ele foi presenteado com a Medalha de Honra pelo Almirante Chester Nimitz em 18 de abril de 1942 e foi comissionado como um Ensign em junho de 1942. Mais tarde na guerra, ele também participou dos desembarques na Normandia e no Sul França.
Ele ascendeu de forma constante no posto temporário a Tenente Comandante até o final da guerra, voltando a ser Tenente em sua conclusão. Ele foi novamente promovido a Tenente Comandante em 1949 e a Comandante em novembro de 1954. Após sua aposentadoria do serviço ativo em julho de 1956, após 27 anos de serviço a bordo de todos os tipos de navios de superfície então à tona, ele foi promovido a Capitão do com base em seus prêmios de combate.
Morando no estado de Washington depois de deixar a Marinha, o Capitão Ross foi ativo na vida da fazenda e nos assuntos da comunidade, e na perpetuação da memória do ataque a Pearl Harbor, que ele descreveu como “não uma história sobre uma derrota. É uma história sobre um trabalho bem executado & quot. Ele compareceu às cerimônias do 50º aniversário em Pearl Harbor em 7 de dezembro de 1991, durante as quais um memorial foi dedicado ao seu antigo navio, o USS Nevada. O capitão Donald K. Ross morreu em Bremerton, Washington, em 27 de maio de 1992.
Em 1997, o destruidor de mísseis guiados USS Ross (DDG-71) foi nomeado em homenagem ao capitão Ross.
ROBERT R. SCOTT
13 de julho de 1915 - 7 de dezembro de 1941

Posto e organização: Maquinista de primeira classe (suboficial de primeira classe), Marinha dos EUA
Anos de serviço: 1938-1941
Acreditado em Ohio
Prêmios: Medalha de Honra, concedida postumamente

Foto enviada por Bill Gonyo


Cemitério Nacional de Arlington, # 34-3939
Entrou na Marinha dos EUA de Ohio
Ganhou a medalha de honra por heroísmo em Pearl Harbor, no Havaí
Morreu: 07 de dezembro de 1941; idade: 26 Robert R. Scott nasceu em Massillon, Ohio, em 13 de julho de 1915 e se alistou na Marinha dos Estados Unidos em 18 de abril de 1938. O maquinista Scott de primeira classe foi designado para o USS California (BB-44) quando os japoneses atacaram Pearl Harbor no dia 7 Dezembro de 1941. O compartimento contendo o compressor de ar ao qual Scott foi designado como seu posto de batalha foi inundado como resultado de um torpedo. O restante do pessoal evacuou o espaço, mas Scott se recusou a sair, dizendo palavras no sentido de que Esta é a minha estação e eu vou ficar e dar-lhes ar enquanto as armas estiverem em ação. Ele foi postumamente condecorado com a Medalha de Honra por seu heroísmo.

Citação da medalha de honra: Pela conspícua devoção ao dever, coragem extraordinária e total desrespeito à própria vida, acima e além da chamada do dever, durante o ataque à Frota em Pearl Harbor pelas forças japonesas em 7 de dezembro de 1941. O compartimento, em o USS Califórnia, onde o compressor de ar, para o qual Scott foi designado como seu posto de batalha, foi inundado como resultado de um torpedo. O restante do pessoal evacuou aquele compartimento, mas Scott recusou-se a sair, dizendo palavras no sentido de 'esta é a minha estação e eu ficarei e lhes darei ar enquanto as armas estiverem funcionando.' '

Em 1943, o contratorpedeiro escolta USS Scott (DE-214) foi nomeado em sua homenagem. Scott também foi um ex-aluno da Ohio State University, onde o dormitório da Scott House leva o seu nome. PETER TOMICH
3 de junho de 1893 7 de dezembro de 1941

Posto e organização: Chefe Watertender, Marinha dos EUA
Credenciado em: New Jersey
Anos de serviço: Primeira Guerra Mundial (Exército), 1919 - 1941 (Marinha)
Servido em: USS Litchfield (DD-336), USS Utah (AG-16)
Prêmios: Medalha de Honra, concedida postumamente

A foto é do Centro Histórico Naval.
Peter Tomich (3 de junho de 1893 7 de dezembro de 1941), nascido em Prolog, Áustria-Hungria, era um croata étnico nascido em Prolog perto de Ljubu ki, Áustria-Hungria, no que mais tarde se tornou a Bósnia e Herzegovina. Durante a Primeira Guerra Mundial, ele serviu no Exército dos Estados Unidos. Depois de se alistar na Marinha dos Estados Unidos em janeiro de 1919, ele serviu inicialmente no contratorpedeiro Litchfield (DD-336).
Em 1941, ele se tornou o Chefe Watertender a bordo do navio de treinamento e destino Utah (AG-16). Em 7 de dezembro de 1941, enquanto o navio estava em Pearl Harbor, ancorado na Ilha Ford, ele foi torpedeado durante o ataque japonês a Pearl Harbor. Tomich estava de serviço em uma sala de caldeiras. Quando Utah começou a virar, ele permaneceu embaixo, protegendo as caldeiras e certificando-se de que outros homens escapassem, perdendo sua vida. Por sua "conduta distinta e coragem extraordinária" naquela época, ele foi condecorado postumamente com a Medalha de Honra. Sua medalha de honra estava em exibição na Academia de Alistados Sênior da Marinha (Tomich Hall) até ser concedida postumamente a membros de sua família em 18 de maio de 2006, a bordo do USS Enterprise no Mar Adriático, na costa da Croácia.

Citação da Medalha de Honra: Por conduta distinta no ramo de sua profissão, e extraordinária coragem e desconsideração de sua própria segurança, durante o ataque à Frota em Pearl Harbor pelas forças japonesas em 7 de dezembro de 1941. Embora percebesse que o navio estava naufragando , como resultado do bombardeio e torpedeamento do inimigo, Tomich permaneceu em seu posto na planta de engenharia do USS Utah, até que viu que todas as caldeiras estavam protegidas e que todo o pessoal da sala de incêndio havia deixado seus postos e, ao fazer isso, perdeu a própria vida.

O contratorpedeiro escolta USS Tomich (DE-242), de 1943 a 1974, foi nomeado em homenagem ao chefe Watertender Tomich.
FRANKLIN VAN VALKENBURGH
5 de abril de 1888 7 de dezembro de 1941

Posto e organização: Capitão, Marinha dos Estados Unidos
Anos de serviço 1905 - 1941
Nomeado de: Wisconsin
Comandos: USS Talbot (DD-114), Destroyer Squadron Five, USS Melville (AD-2), USS Arizona (BB-39)
Prêmios: Medalha de Honra, concedida postumamente

Foto do Centro Histórico Naval enviada por Bill Gonyo Franklin Van Valkenburgh (5 de abril de 1888 a 7 de dezembro de 1941), nascido em Minneapolis, Minnesota, foi o último capitão do USS Arizona. Ele foi morto quando o Arizona explodiu e afundou durante o ataque a Pearl Harbor.
Franklin Van Valkenburgh foi nomeado aspirante na Academia Naval dos Estados Unidos em 15 de setembro de 1905 e graduou-se em 4 de junho de 1909. Depois de servir no encouraçado Vermont (BB-20) e na Carolina do Sul (BB-26), Van Valkenburgh foi nomeado alferes em 5 de junho de 1911. Viajando para a Estação Asiática logo em seguida, ele se juntou ao submarino Rainbow (AS-7) em Olongapo, nas Ilhas Filipinas, em 11 de setembro. Ele se apresentou à canhoneira Pampanga (PG-39) como oficial executivo em 23 de junho de 1914 para uma curta viagem ao sul das Filipinas antes de seu destacamento em 4 de agosto.
Depois de retornar aos Estados Unidos, o tenente (jg.) Van Valkenburgh juntou-se a Connecticut (BB-18) em 11 de novembro. Após o trabalho de pós-graduação em engenharia a vapor na Academia Naval em setembro de 1915, ele recebeu mais instrução nesse campo na Universidade de Columbia antes de se reportar a Rhode Island (BB-17) em 2 de março de 1917. A entrada dos Estados Unidos na Primeira Guerra Mundial descobriu Van Valkenburgh servindo como oficial de engenharia do encouraçado. O serviço temporário subsequente no navio receptor em Nova York precedeu sua primeira viagem como instrutor na Academia Naval. Em 1 de junho de 1920, Van Valkenburgh apresentou-se a bordo do Minnesota (BB-22) para o serviço como oficial de engenharia e ocupou esse cargo até que o encouraçado fosse desativado em novembro de 1921.
Ele serviu novamente como instrutor na Academia Naval - até 15 de maio de 1925 - antes de ingressar no Maryland (BB-46) em 26 de junho. Comandante comissionado em 2 de junho de 1927 enquanto estava em Maryland, ele logo se apresentou ao serviço no Escritório do Chefe de Operações Navais em 21 de maio de 1928 e serviu lá durante as administrações dos almirantes Charles F. Hughes e William V. Pratt. Destacado em 28 de junho de 1931, Van Valkenburgh recebeu o comando do contratorpedeiro Talbot (DD-114) em 10 de julho e comandou o Destroyer Squadron 5 em 31 de março de 1932.
Depois de frequentar o Naval War College, Newport, R.I., e concluir o curso sênior em maio de 1934, Comdr. Van Valkenburgh serviu em seguida como inspetor de material naval no New York Navy Yard antes de ir para o mar novamente como oficial comandante de Melville (AD-2) de 8 de junho de 1936 a 11 de junho de 1938. Promovido a capitão enquanto comandava Melville - em 23 de dezembro de 1937 - atuou como inspetor de material para o 3º Distrito Naval de 6 de agosto de 1938 a 22 de janeiro de 1941.
Em 5 de fevereiro de 1941, Van Valkenburgh substituiu o capitão Harold C. Train como oficial comandante do Arizona (BB-39). Recém-reformado no Estaleiro Naval de Puget Sound, o Arizona serviu como navio-almirante da Divisão 1 do Battleship pelo resto do ano, baseado principalmente em Pearl Harbor, com duas viagens à costa oeste. Em 4 de dezembro, o encouraçado foi para o mar na companhia de Nevada (BB-36) e Oklahoma (BB-37) para prática noturna de superfície e, após realizar esses exercícios de artilharia, retornou a Pearl Harbor independentemente no dia 6 para atracar no cais F -7 ao lado de Ford Island.
O capitão Van Valkenburgh e o comandante da divisão embarcada, contra-almirante Isaac C. Kidd, passaram a noite do sábado seguinte, 6 de dezembro, a bordo. De repente, pouco antes das 8h de 7 de dezembro, aviões japoneses rugiram no céu, quebrando a paz dominical e pontuando-a com a explosão de bombas e o martelar em staccato de metralhadoras. O capitão Van Valkenburgh saiu acelerado de sua cabine e chegou à ponte de navegação, onde imediatamente começou a dirigir a defesa de seu navio. Um contramestre na casa do piloto perguntou se o capitão queria ir para a torre de comando - uma posição menos exposta em vista do bombardeio japonês - mas Van Valkenburgh recusou-se a fazê-lo e continuou a operar um telefone, lutando pela vida de seu navio.
Uma violenta explosão sacudiu o navio de repente, jogando os três ocupantes da ponte - Van Valkenburgh, um alferes e o contramestre, para o convés e estilhaçando as janelas da ponte. Atordoado e abalado, o alferes tropeçou em meio às chamas e fumaça e escapou, mas os outros nunca mais foram vistos. Um fogo contínuo, alimentado por munição e óleo, durou dois dias até ser finalmente apagado em 9 de dezembro. Uma busca subsequente recuperou apenas o anel de classe do capitão Van Valkenburgh.
O capitão foi condecorado postumamente com a Medalha de Honra por lutar bravamente contra seu navio, ele dirigiu sua defesa no tempo tragicamente curto que lhe foi concedido.

Citação da medalha de honra: & quotPara devoção conspícua ao dever, coragem extraordinária e total desconsideração de sua própria vida, durante o ataque à frota em Pearl Harbor T. H., pelas forças japonesas em 7 de dezembro de 1941. Como oficial comandante dos EUA. Arizona, Capitão Van Valkenburgh galantemente lutou contra seu navio até os EUA O Arizona explodiu com as explosões de revistas e uma bomba atingida diretamente na ponte, o que resultou na perda de sua vida. & Quot

Em 1943, o contratorpedeiro USS Van Valkenburgh (DD-656) foi nomeado em sua homenagem.
JAMES RICHARD WARD
10 de setembro de 1921 - 7 de dezembro de 1941

Posto e organização: Seaman First Class, Marinha dos EUA
Anos de serviço: 1940-1941
Serviço inscrito em: Springfield, Ohio
Prêmios: Medalha de Honra, concedida postumamente
James Richard Ward (10 de setembro de 1921 7 de dezembro de 1941) nasceu em Springfield, Ohio. Alistou-se na Marinha dos Estados Unidos em Cincinnati, Ohio, em 25 de novembro de 1940. Após o treinamento básico, ele se apresentou a bordo do encouraçado Oklahoma (BB-37).
Quando os japoneses atacaram Pearl Harbor em 7 de dezembro de 1941, Oklahoma levou três torpedos logo após o início do ataque. Ela listou perigosamente, e logo ficou claro que ela iria virar. The order was given to abandon ship, but Seaman First Class Ward remained in a turret holding a flashlight, thus sacrificing his own life to permit other members of the crew to escape. For his heroism at that time, he was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.

Medal of Honor Citation: "For conspicuous devotion to duty, extraordinary courage and complete disregard of his life, above and beyond the call of duty, during the attack on the Fleet in Pearl Harbor by Japanese forces on 7 December 1941. When it was seen that the U.S.S. Oklahoma was going to capsize and the order was given to abandon ship, Ward remained in a turret holding a flashlight so the remainder of the turret crew could see to escape, thereby sacrificing his own life."

In 1943, the destroyer escort USS J. Richard Ward (DE-243), was named in honor of Seaman First Class Ward.
CASSIN YOUNG
March 6, 1894 - November 13, 1942

Rank and organization: Commander, U.S. Navy
Appointed from: Wisconsin
Place of death: killed in action in Guadalcanal
Awards: Medal of Honor, Navy Cross, Awarded Posthumously Cassin Young (March 6, 1894 November 13, 1942) was an officer of the United States Navy who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroism during the attack on Pearl Harbor.
Young was born in Washington, D.C., on March 6, 1894. After graduation from the U.S. Naval Academy on June 3, 1916, he served on the battleship Connecticut (BB-18) into 1919, then spent several years in submarines. During that period, he commanded the Submarines R-23 and R-2. During the mid and late 1920s, he served in Naval Communications on the staff of Commander Submarine Divisions, Battle Fleet, and at the Naval Academy.
During 1931 33, Lieutenant Commander Young served on the battleship New York (BB-34). He was subsequently awarded command of the destroyer Evans (DD-78) and was assigned to the Eleventh Naval District in 1935 37. After promotion to the rank of Commander, he commanded Submarine Division Seven and was stationed at Naval Submarine Base New London, in Groton, Connecticut.
When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, he was Commanding Officer of the repair ship Vestal (AR-4), which was badly damaged by enemy bombs and the explosion of the battleship Arizona (BB-39). Commander Young rapidly organized offensive action, personally taking charge of one of Vestal's antiaircraft guns. When Arizona's forward magazine exploded, the blast blew Young overboard. Although stunned, he was determined to save his ship by getting her away from the blazing Arizona. Swimming back to Vestal, which was already damaged and about to be further damaged, Young got her underway and beached her, thus insuring her later salvage. His heroism was recognized with the Medal of Honor.
Promoted to Captain in February 1942, he later was given command of the heavy cruiser San Francisco (CA-38). In the Solomon Islands campaign, Captain Young commanded San Francisco in the Battle of Cape Esperance and the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal with great distinction. On 13 November 1942, during the latter battle, he guided his ship in action with a superior Japanese force and was killed by enemy shells while closely engaging the battleship Hiei. Captain Young was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross for his actions during the campaign and San Francisco received the Presidential Unit Citation.

Medal of Honor citation: "For distinguished conduct in action, outstanding heroism and utter disregard of his own safety, above and beyond the call of duty, as Commanding Officer of the U.S.S. Vestal, during the attack on the Fleet in Pearl Harbor, Territory of Hawaii, by enemy Japanese forces on 7 December 1941. Commander Young proceeded to the bridge and later took personal command of the 3-inch antiaircraft gun. When blown overboard by the blast of the forward magazine explosion of the U.S.S. Arizona, to which the U.S.S. Vestal was moored, he swam back to his ship. The entire forward part of the U.S.S. Arizona was a blazing inferno with oil afire on the water between the two ships as a result of several bomb hits, the U.S.S. Vestal was afire in several places, was settling and taking on a list. Despite severe enemy bombing and strafing at the time, and his shocking experience of having been blown overboard, Commander Young, with extreme coolness and calmness, moved his ship to an anchorage distant from the U.S.S. Arizona, and subsequently beached the U.S.S. Vestal upon determining that such action was required to save his ship."

In 1943, the destroyer USS Cassin Young (DD-793) was named in his honor.

Source: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships <http://history.navy.mil/danfs/c4/cassin_young.htm>
Naval Historical Center's bio of Cassin Young <http://history.navy.mil/photos/pers-us/uspers-xz/c-young.htm>


Sources: Naval Historical Center, Medal of Honor Citations, Wikipedia


Copyright ©Genealogy Trails & each Contributor
All rights reserved


Welcome to the Friends of Guisachan

What was Guisachan like in its days of glory? We are fortunate to have obtained a copy of the auction particulars published to promote the sale of the estate on July 24th, 1935. A summation follows:

The 7,242 acres consisted of approximately 143 acres of Policies (parkland), 358 acres of farm lands, grazing parks and a village (the village being Tomich.) The remainder was forest and moor lands.

The Guisachan Mansion House (Lot 1)

The mansion was advertised as being an hour’s drive from Inverness and having a 1 1/2 mile carriage drive guarded by an Entrance Lodge near Tomich Village. The mansion itself was described as consisting of a dining room, drawing room, breakfast room, smoking room, business room, billiards room, library, boudoir, conservatories, 15 bedrooms, 4 dressing rooms, 5 bathrooms and 16 servants’ rooms. There were 10 lavatories and wash closets, very extensive domestic offices, cellars and storage accommodations. The utilities were described as consisting of a hydro electric light plant, hot and cold water, fire hydrants, housemaid’s sinks and coal bunkers on every floor. There was an auxiliary boiler for baths, separate heating to the conservatory and a telephone to the stables and power house.

Click to enlarge images.

East Elevation Guisachan Estate Guisachan Estate: Principal Floor Plan

Fruit and vegetable gardens encompassed about two acres. The Outside Offices consisted of a garage for three cars with covered wash, stables for 20 horses, harness and saddle rooms, a hay loft, two mess rooms, six men’s rooms, a washing house, drying and ironing rooms, kennels, a gun room, Ghillies’ room, store house, carpenter’s shops, two W.C’s, carnation house, greenhouse and store-house, potting shed, tool house, mill shed, wood stores, joiner’s and painter’s shops, and a cart shed.

The farm steading once housed farm equipment, grain, and cattle. It now welcomes self-catering tourists. The Farm Steading The former stables and carriage house are now a private residence.

The Auction bill of sale goes on to read:

“A Special Attraction of the Grounds is the Choice Selection of Hardwood and Evergreen Trees.”

“Close to the house are the Home Falls, about 80 feet high.”

“Some of the grass park adjoining the River Dhiag, close to the Mansion House, could be conveniently formed into a loch by diverting the rivers, and should prove to afford excellent trout fishing.”

“GRASS PARKS AND VALUABLE TIMBER extending in all to about 143 acres.”

The Sporting and Agricultural subject of the HOME FARM extending to about 2,870 acres. ( Lot 2.)

The Home Farm is described as consisting of 330 acres of grass parks and the remainder hill and moorland for sheep grazing, well watered and interspersed with hill lochs. A house containing four rooms and 9 acres was located at Wester Achnaheglish, in which “the Shepherd at present resides, but which could be made a suitable Farm House.” “The Steading is large and modern and at one time housed a herd of pedigree Aberdeen Angus Cattle. It includes 56-stalled Byre, Two large covered Yards fitted with Boxes, Fifteen Calf Pens, Nine Loose Boxes, Stabling for 12, Harness and Hay Room, 3-stall Pony Stable and Harness Room, Five Hen houses, large galvanised 4-bay Hay Shed with 3 drying racks, Barn, Twelve Pigsties, Slaughter-house, Ham curing-house, Gig-house, Tool House, Meal House, Carpenter’s Shop, 11-bay Cart Shed and Granaries. There are also two cottages for Farm Servants.”

The Auction advertisement goes on to extol the 2500 acres of hillside heather where a substantial number of grouse could be shot as well as Blackgame, woodcock and wild duck.

Fishing opportunities on the numerous lochs in the area include reference to a group of 8 fish weighing 21 lbs and the heaviest being 3 1/2 lbs.

Donald Fraser, author of Guisachan: A History, at the steading, now part of Tomich Holidays

Also included in Lot 2 was the Factor’s House consisting of a hall, dining room, sitting room, office with outside entrance, five bed rooms, bath room, and kitchen. There was also a model dairy, tiled throughout with an outside verandah and a five-room Bothy (a primitive shelter.).

Kerrow House, currently a hotel, once housed estate staff. It is said the first litter of Golden Retriever puppies was born here. The original sawmill has recently been purchased for renovation as a private home. The former farm manager’s house is now a private residence.

Most of Tomich Village (Lot 3)

The former dairy is now a rental cottage at Tomich Holidays. Built to house the estate’s stalkers and keepers, The Tomich Hotel now offers rooms for fine dining and a bar. The original school and church, school master’s house and village hall. Now three private residences. The original school and church, schoolmaster’s house and village hall. Image courtesy of Donnie Stirling Thr current post office was built as a coach house for carriages taking visitors to Beauly. These iron gates once stood in front of the mansion. They now mark the entrance to several historical buildings renovated as Tomich Holidays.

Lord Tweedmouth built Tomich Village to house workers on the estate to provide such basics as a school, post office, garden, shop, garage, outhouses, the cottage at the school, the Tomich Hotel and 25 houses There were also additional buildings known as Wilton Lodge, the Kennels, the Entrance Lodge, the Sawmill and two additional houses. All were occupied by renters, with the gross rental being noted for each.

4,200 Acres of Deer Forest (Lot 4)

These lands were advertised as being adjacent to a sanctuary where deer were fed during the winter and stags were plentiful. It was said to be intersected by a roadway and a number of pony paths. “Rough Shooting” opportunities were also extolled with references to Roe, Blackgame and Ptarmigan. There were also said to be a number of lochs offering excellent trout fishing.

Hilton Cottage (Lot 5)

This property contained about ten acres, a small loch and was said to be suitable for a Gentleman’s residence.


Brown SB Co, Houston, США (USA)

[[LSM 490, LSM 490 > MMC 12 (1945) Landing ship (medium), USA]] /// Built in USA [[File:LSM 490, LSM 490 > MMC 12 (1945) Landing ship (medium)-0.png|thumb|710px]]

[[LSM 492, LSM 492 > MMC 14 (1945) Landing ship (medium), USA]] /// Built in USA [[File:LSM 492, LSM 492 > MMC 14 (1945) Landing ship (medium)-0.png|thumb|710px]]

[[LSM 493, LSM 493 > MMC 13 (1945) Landing ship (medium), USA]] /// Built in USA [[File:LSM 493, LSM 493 > MMC 13 (1945) Landing ship (medium)-0.png|thumb|710px]]


História

Neal A. Scott was laid down on 1 June 1943 by the Tampa Shipbuilding Company, Tampa, Florida launched on 4 June 1944, co-sponsored by Mrs. Leigh Scott and Miss Margaret Scott, mother and sister, respectively, of Ensign Scott and commissioned on 31 July 1944 with Lt. P. D. Holden in command.

Battle of the Atlantic

Following shakedown off Bermuda and availability at Boston, Massachusetts, Neal A. Scott steamed to Norfolk, Virginia, thence to Solomons Island, Maryland, where she conducted acoustic test runs for the Naval Mine Warfare Test Station during the first two weeks of November 1944. She then proceeded back to Norfolk whence she operated as a training ship in the lower Chesapeake Bay area until 10 December. The next day she sortied from Lynnhaven Roads in Task Force 63 to escort convoy UGS-63 to Oran, Algeria. The convoy of approximately 100 ships in 15 columns passed through the Strait of Gibraltar on 27 December and arrived at Oran the 28th.

On 2 January 1945, Neal A. Scott departed North Africa on her return voyage, escorting convoy GUS-63 to Hampton Roads. On the 3rd, at 1707, a large cloud of smoke was seen and an explosion heard from the center of the first line of the convoy. Neal A. Scott immediately started a submarine search on the starboard bow of the convoy. At 1739 good sonar contact was established and a depth charge attack begun. In the next six minutes 26 charges were dropped. Thirty seconds after the last charge detonated, the rumble of an underwater explosion, followed by the appearance of an oil slick off the escort's port quarter, was reported and sonar contact was lost. At 1755 contact was regained and a hedgehog attack was made. Two to four explosions were heard within the next half minute, and eight more were heard over a minute later, but, again, contact was lost. Contact established again at 1806, a second hedgehog run was made. This time, however, no explosions were reported and the contact was lost. Undiscouraged, the ship continued her search until relieved by British escorts at 2345. Neal A. Scott then returned to the convoy and arrived at Norfolk without further incident on 19 January.

In February, Neal A. Scott joined the Southern Forces Barrier Patrol in the North Atlantic and for the remainder of the war in Europe conducted submarine searches off the coasts of Maine, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland as part of "Operation Teardrop". On 22 April, as she steamed in a scouting line proceeding to Argentia, Newfoundland, a submarine contact was made by another escort, the destroyer USS Carter. Sixteen minutes later, at 0056, Neal A. Scott made a hedgehog attack. Several explosions were reported. At 0108, Carter delivered a similar attack which was followed immediately by two or three detonations and then by an explosion. At 0118, another, and heavier, explosion was felt and heard by all hands. o U-518 had been sent to the bottom of the North Atlantic.

After the surrender of Germany on 7 May, Neal A. Scott was ordered to intercept U-1228 and bring her into port. While proceeding to the surrender point, U-858 was contacted and ordered to the surrender point. On 11 May, U-1228 was intercepted and after sending a boarding party to the submarine and taking on 28 of the U-boat's crew, including the Captain, the escort headed for Portsmouth, New Hampshire, where she turned over her prisoners and their boat to U.S. Coast Guard officials on 17 May.

Post-War and fate

Neal A. Scott then steamed south to Bayonne, New Jersey, for availability, after which she proceeded to Florida. On 13 June she joined the Carrier Qualification Detachment at Jacksonville, Florida, and for the next two months operated as plane guard for Guadalcanal   (CVE-60) . Detached from the Carrier Qualification Detachment, Neal A. Scott underwent availability at Charleston, South Carolina, and then headed for Corpus Christi, Texas, for Navy Day celebrations. She returned to Charleston on 4 November, only to depart again on the 7th.

From Charleston she steamed back to Jacksonville where she decommissioned on 30 April 1946 and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, berthed at Green Cove Springs, Florida. In 1961 the escort was transferred to the Orange, Texas, berthing area where she remained until struck from the Navy Register on 1 June 1968. She was sold July 1969 and broken up for scrap.


USS Weeden (DE-797) was a Buckley-class destroyer escort in the United States Navy. She was named for Ensign Carl A. Weeden (1916�), who was killed during the attack on Pearl Harbor.

USS Ira Jeffery (DE-63/APD-44), uma Buckley-class destroyer escort of the United States Navy, was named in honor of Ensign Ira Weil Jeffery (1918-1941) who was killed in action during the Japanese attack on the Hawaiian Islands while serving aboard the battleship California .

USS William T. Powell (DE/DER-213), uma Buckley-class destroyer escort of the United States Navy, was named in honor of Gunner's Mate William T. Powell (1918-1942), who was killed in action, aboard the heavy cruiser USS San Francisco off Guadalcanal on 12 November 1942.

USS Scott (DE-214), uma Buckley-class destroyer escort of the United States Navy, was named in honor of Machinist's Mate First Class Robert R. Scott (1915�, who was killed in action during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941, while serving aboard the battleship USS California . He was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroism.

USS Solar (DE-221), uma Buckley-class destroyer escort of the United States Navy, was named in honor of Boatswain's Mate First Class Adolfo Solar (1900�), who was killed in action during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941.

USS Spangenberg (DE/DER-223), uma Buckley-class destroyer escort of the United States Navy, was named in honor of Gunner's Mate Kenneth J. Spangenberg (1922-1942), who died as a result of wounds suffered during the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, while serving aboard the heavy cruiser San Francisco  (CA-38) . He was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross.

USS Alexander J. Luke (DE/DER-577), uma Buckley-class destroyer escort of the United States Navy, was named in honor of Sergeant Alexander J. Luke (1916�), who was killed in action during the attack on Tulagi on 6 August 1942. He was posthumously awarded the Silver Star.

USS Major (DE-796) was a Buckley-class destroyer escort acquired by the U.S. Navy during the latter part of World War II. She served as an escort vessel, protecting Allied ships, both in the Atlantic Ocean, and later in the Pacific Ocean. When the war with Japan ended, Major witnessed the Japanese surrender from her berth in Tokyo Bay.

USS Roche (DE-197) was a Cannon-class destroyer escort in service United States Navy from 1944 to 1945. She hit a mine in late September 1945. As it was uneconomical to repair her, she was scuttled in March 1946.

USS Andres (DE-45) was an Evarts-class destroyer escort constructed for the United States Navy during World War II. Sent off to the dangerous waters of the North Atlantic Ocean during the Battle of the Atlantic to protect convoys and other ships from Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine U-boats and fighter aircraft, Andres performed escort and anti-submarine operations.

USS Smartt (DE-257) was an Evarts-class destroyer escort of the United States Navy during World War II. She was sent off into dangerous North Atlantic Ocean waters to protect convoys and other ships from German submarines and fighter aircraft. She performed escort and antisubmarine operations in battle areas before sailing home victorious at the end of the conflict.

USS Amick (DE-168) was a Cannon-class destroyer escort built for the United States Navy during World War II. She served in the Atlantic Ocean and then the Pacific Ocean and provided escort service against submarine and air attack for Navy vessels and convoys.

USS Straub (DE-181) was a Cannon-class destroyer escort in service with the United States Navy from 1943 to 1947. She was sold for scrap in 1974.

USS Garfield Thomas (DE-193) was a Cannon-class destroyer escort built for the United States Navy during World War II. She served in the Atlantic Ocean and Pacific Ocean and provided escort service against submarine and air attack for Navy vessels and convoys.

USS Sturtevant (DE-239) was an Edsall class destroyer escort in service with the United States Navy from 1943 to 1946 and from 1951 to 1960. She was scrapped in 1973.

USS Tomich (DE-242) was an Edsall-class destroyer escort in service with the United States Navy from 1943 to 1946. She was scrapped in 1974.

USS Stanton (DE-247) was an Edsall-class destroyer escort built for the U.S. Navy during World War II. She served in the Atlantic Ocean the Pacific Ocean and provided destroyer escort protection against submarine and air attack for Navy vessels and convoys.

USS Cockrill (DE-398) was an Edsall-class destroyer escortin service with the United States Navy from 1943 to 1946. After spending decades in reserve, she was sunk as a target in November 1974.

USS Neunzer (DE-150) was an Edsall-class destroyer escort in service with the United States Navy from 1943 to 1947. After spending several decades in reserve, she was sold for scrap in 1973.

USS Varian (DE-798) was a Buckley-class destroyer escort of the United States Navy.


Natural History

Virtually all breed books discuss the prominent individuals within a given breed’s history in a positive light. Negative facts are usually left aside, for the focus is more on how the breed developed, not a discussion of the social, economic, and political history that made the breed possible. Granted, people do not buy dog books to understand these issues. Most people just want to read about the creation story of their dog, and the breed fanciers like to bask in the glory of the past.

However, it important to at least consider some of the negative parts of a breed’s history. As someone who prefers history to hagiography, I think it is a good idea to understand that the golden retriever would not have been possible had their not been some human suffering.

What do I mean by “human suffering”?

First of all, we have to start with who the founders of the golden retriever were.

The golden retriever’s founders were part of the economic and political elite of British society. The reason why we know so much about the dogs is that only people with considerable means would ever bother to keep such meticulous records of the dogs in their lines, and only people with that sort of wealth would even dream of keeping a dog with such a limited utility.

A dog that picks up shot game is certainly useful, but the average person could not bother with keeping or breeding such dogs. Working people needed dogs that could earn their keep. Dogs were bred according to their utility, not their pedigree, and after many generations breeding for utility only, tracing these bloodlines becomes next to impossible.

However, if one has money, time, and employees to maintain kennels, one can keep close records on the dogs. That is why we have such a complete record of the dogs at Guisachan.

Dudley Marjoribanks was not a poor man. Dudley had made a considerable fortune as chairman of the Meux Brewery Company, and he had inherited a lot of money from his father’s estate. He had a posh mansion in London’s Park Lane called Brook House. He also had holdings in the Scottish (now registration) county of Berwickshire, which was where he was born.

A Border Scot who had done well in this world, Marjoribanks began to look for new real estate. By the mid-nineteenth century, the Scottish Highlands had experienced a total image makeover. In the eighteenth century, it was seen as a backward place, full of Gaelic-speaking insurgents called Jacobites who were too busy raising hell and livestock to be recognized among the civilized.

The work of Sir Walter Scott had totally changed that popular perception. In his writings, Scotland became a romantic place, where the last vestiges of wild Britain existed alongside a turbulent history.

Queen Victoria and Prince Albert also helped changed this perception. They began visiting Balmoral in 1848, and eventually purchased the estate in 1852. This purchase set off a land boom in Scotland. All sorts of wealthy aristocrats began buying up land in Scotland.

In 1853, Dudley Marjoribanks was elected as the Liberal MP for Berwick-upon-Tweed, and it is very likely that he was caught up in the Scottish euphoria the had swept through these elite circles. His lands in Berwickshire did not count for much. He needed an estate deep within Caledonia, and you can’t get much more Caldeonian than a shooting estate in the Highlands.

Marjoribanks purchased Guisachan (“Place of the Firs”) in 1854. It was the perfect place to go grouse shooting and deer-stalking. It was also not a bad place to bring his fellow politicians for deal-making and negotiations.

Now, our popular perception of the Highlands is of a sparsely populated place with spectacular landscapes. The land is inhabited by a few shepherds and some rare wild creatures, like the Scottish wildcat.

The truth of the matter is that Highlands were not always so empty. There was once a rather large population that lived there. In Scotland, the lands were enclosed rather similarly to the way they were enclosed in England and Wales. However, these enclosures happened a little later, and they were based upon a different set of economic pressures. The tenant farmers of Scotland had lived on these estates for centuries as part of the ancient clan system of Scotland. From the mid-eighteenth century onwards, these farmers were driven off these lands to make way for sheep grazing. Many Scottish farmers were without land to work, and they were forced into a level of economic insecurity that forced them to fight for a chance to labor as virtual slave on estate or join the army (see the song “Twa Recruiting Sergeants.“)

The process of driving these large numbers of small farmers off the land to make way for sheep and cattle grazing and later for setting up posh estates for the wealthy was known as the Highland Clearances, and that is a good description for what happened. The Highlands were literally cleared of people, many of whom emigrated to other parts of Britain, as well as North America, Australia, New Zealand, and other parts of the British Empire.

In the 1850’s, there were still some estates that had tenant farmers working on their lands. When Guisachan was purchased, there were tenant farmers living there. These farmers were forced to leave.

Alexander Mackenzie (not the Canadian prime minister or the explorer) wrote the history of these clearances and worked hard to bring about reform to give these people rights. Mackenzie wrote about the Guisachan Clearances:

The modern clearances which took place within the last quarter of a century in Guisachan, Strathglass, by Sir Dudley Marjoribanks, have been described in all their phases before a Committee of the House of Commons in 1872. The Inspector of Poor for the parish of Kiltarlity wrote a letter which was brought before the Committee, with a statement from another source that, “in 1855, there were 16 farmers on the estate the number of cows they had was 62, and horses, 24 the principal farmer had 2000 sheep, the next 1000, and the rest between them 1200, giving a total of 4200. Now (1873) there is but one farmer, and he leaves at Whitsunday all these farmers lost the holdings on which they ever lived in competency indeed, it is well known that some of them were able to lay by some money. They have been sent to the four quarters of the globe, or to vegetate in Sir Dudley’s dandy cottages at Tomich, made more for show than convenience, where they have to depend on his employment or charity. To prove that all this is true, take at random, the smith, the shoemaker, or the tailor, and say whether the poverty and starvation were then or now? For instance, under the old regime, the smith farmed a piece of land which supplied the wants of his family with meal and potatoes he had two cows, a horse, and a score or two of sheep on the hill he paid £7 of yearly rent he now has nothing but the bare walls of his cottage and smithy, for which he pays £10. Of course he had his trade than as he has now. Will he live more comfortably now than he did then? “It was stated, at the same time, that, when Sir Dudley Marjoribanks bought the property, there was a population of 235 souls upon it, and Sir Dudley, in his examination, though he threw some doubt upon that statement, was quite unable to refute it. The proprietor, on being asked, said that he did not evict any of the people. But Mr. Macombie having said, “Then the tenants went away of their own free will,” Sir Dudley replied, “I must not say so quite. I told them that when they had found other places to go to, I wished to have their farms.”

They were, in point of fact, evicted as much as any others of the ancient tenantry in the Highlands, though it is but fair to say that the same harsh cruelty was not applied in their case as in many of the others recorded in these pages. Those who had been allowed to remain in the new cottages, are without cow or sheep, or an inch of land, while those alive of those sent off are spread over the wide world, like those sent, as already described, from other places. (291-93).

So to make way for his shooting estate, 235 people had to leave. We do not know their names, and we certainly do not know the names of their dogs or even what kind of dogs they owned. However, they were probably collie-types and terriers. They had an actual economic utility, but once their owners were deemed unnecessary for profit, progress, or prosperity of the elite, both the working dog and working man were sent packing.

To make way for Marjoribanks’s shooting estate and eventual development of his strain of yellow wavy-coat, people had to suffer. People lost their livelihoods and the ancient way of life.

This is the dark side of the Guisachan story that has always gone unmentioned in golden retriever histories. I apologize for not mentioning it earlier in this blog. The truth of the matter is that such facts do not often appear within the context of the story of the golden retriever.

However, the story does not end there. Dudley Marjoribanks’s daughter, Ishbel, married John Campbell Hamilton-Gordon, 1st Marquess of Aberdeen and Temair, who served as Governor-General of Canada from 1893 to 1898. They were early Social Liberals who worked very hard to improve the conditions of working people in Canada, many of whom were either immigrants or descendants of immigrants who had left Scotland as a result of the clearances.

One wonders if Ishbel (Lady Aberdeen) felt a certain amount of guilt over her family’s clearance of Guisachan. Maybe she was trying to make amends for that injustice.

Lord and Lady Aberdeen purchase the Coldstream Ranch in the Okanagan Valley, which they renamed Guisachan. On that estate, they kept some yellow wavy-coats that were of her father’s strain. These were the first goldens to be imported to North America.


Assista o vídeo: НОВЫЙ ПЛАН ПОБЕГА! ВЫЖИВАНИЕ БОМЖА В РОССИИ #242! МАЙНКРАФТ