CVE-106 U.S.S. Commencement Bay - História

CVE-106 U.S.S. Commencement Bay - História

Baía do começo

Uma baía de Puget Sound, perto de Tacoma, Wash.

(CVE 106; dp. 11.373; 1,677'1 "; b. 75 '; ew. 105'2";
dr. 32 '; s. 19 k .; cpl. 1.066; uma. 2 5 "; cl. Início
Baía)

Commencement Bay (CVE-106) foi lançado em 9 de maio de 1944 por Seattle Tacoma Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Wash .; patrocinado pela Sra. F. Eves; e comissionado em 27 de novembro de 1944, Capitão R. L. Bowman no comando.

Commencement Bay apresentou-se em Seattle em 1º de fevereiro de 1945 para o serviço como navio de treinamento em Puget Sound até 2 de outubro. Durante esse tempo, ela treinou 545 oficiais e 5.053 homens de tripulações de pré-comissionamento para porta-aviões de escolta irmãos e qualificou 249 pilotos de oito grupos aéreos em pousos e decolagens de porta-aviões. Ele partiu de Bremerton em 21 de outubro de 1945 e chegou a Pearl Harbor no dia 4 de novembro para treinar e realizar as qualificações de porta-aviões até o dia 27 de novembro para Seattle e Tacoma.

Após visitas a Los Angeles e San Pedro, ela retornou a Tacoma em 28 de janeiro, onde foi colocada fora de serviço na reserva em 30 de novembro de 1946. Ela foi reclassificada como CVHE-106 em 12 de junho de 1955; e AKV-37, 7 de maio de 1959.


USS Commencement Bay (CVE-105)

| module = Carreira (Estados Unidos) Nome: USS Baía do começoConstrutor: Todd Pacific ShipyardsLançado: 9 de maio de 1944Comissionado: 27 de novembro de 1944 Descomissionado: 30 de novembro de 1946Reclassificado: Helicopter Carrier, CVHE-105, 12 de junho de 1955
Navio de carga e balsa de aeronaves, AKV-37, 7 de maio de 1959 Destino: Sucateado em algum momento após 1971 | módulo2 = Características gerais Classe e tipo de amplificador: Baía do começotransportadora de escolta de classe> Deslocamento: 10.900 toneladas longas (11.100 e # 160t) e # 911 e # 93 Comprimento: 557 e # 160 pés (170 e # 160m) Viga: 75 e # 160 pés (23 e # 160m) Calado: 30 e # 160 pés 6 & # 160 pol. ( 9,30 e # 160m) Propulsão: turbinas com engrenagens de 2 eixos, 16.000 shp Velocidade: 19 nós (22 & # 160mph 35 e # 160km / h) Complemento: 1.066Armamento: • 2 × 5 e # 160in (130 e # 160 mm) canhões (2 × 1)
• Armas AA de 36 × 40 mm Aeronave transportada: 34 |> USS Baía do começo (CVE-105) (ex-St. Joseph Bay), o navio líder de sua classe, era um porta-aviões de escolta e, posteriormente, um porta-helicópteros da Marinha dos Estados Unidos, usado principalmente como navio de treinamento. Baía do começo foi lançado em 9 de maio de 1944 pela Todd Pacific Shipyards, Tacoma, Washington, patrocinado pela Sra. F. Eves e encomendado em 27 de novembro de 1944, com o capitão Roscoe Leroy Bowman no comando. Baía do começo relatado em Seattle em 1 ° de fevereiro de 1945 para serviço como navio de treinamento em Puget Sound até 2 de outubro. Durante este tempo, ela treinou 545 oficiais e 5.053 homens de tripulações de pré-comissionamento para porta-aviões de escolta irmãos e qualificou 249 pilotos de oito grupos aéreos em pousos e decolagens de porta-aviões. Ele partiu de Bremerton em 21 de outubro de 1945 e chegou a Pearl Harbor em 4 de novembro para treinar e realizar as qualificações de porta-aviões até a viagem de 27 de novembro para Seattle e Tacoma. Após visitas a Los Angeles e San Pedro, ela retornou a Tacoma em 28 de janeiro, onde foi colocada fora da reserva em 30 de novembro de 1946. Ela foi reclassificada CVHE-105, 12 de junho de 1955 e AKV-37, 7 de maio de 1959.


HistoryLink.org

Começando no final da década de 1880 e continuando por décadas, o delta onde o rio Puyallup se encontra com a baía de Commencement foi dragado e preenchido para atender às necessidades do transporte marítimo e da indústria. Em 1908, a Milwaukee Road, uma das empresas ferroviárias mais inovadoras do país, mas uma chegada tardia a Puget Sound, construiu um cavalete de madeira de 1.500 pés de comprimento através do terreno pantanoso do delta. Isso servia para fornecer ligação aos trilhos da Ferrovia Oriental de Tacoma, que a Milwaukee Road havia comprado para alimentar a carga de sua nova linha principal transcontinental, e acesso ao antigo depósito de passageiros do Leste de Tacoma e à casa de carga perto do centro da cidade. Assolado por solo sedimentado e apodrecimento desenfreado, o cavalete precisava de manutenção e reparo constantes e, em 1937, foi substituído por um vão que ficou conhecido como cavalete de curva em S (às vezes chamado de cavalete de Tacoma). Este também precisava de reparos frequentes e foi quase totalmente reconstruído em 1962. Em 1980, a Milwaukee Road estava falida e encerrou todo o serviço ferroviário a oeste de Montana. Em 2000, o serviço de trem metropolitano Sounder da Sound Transit começou entre Tacoma e Seattle, e em 2003 seus trens começaram a usar o cavalete S-Curve, compartilhando a via única com a Tacoma Rail. Em 2012, o cavalete foi considerado elegível para listagem no Registro Nacional de Locais Históricos, mas não foi nomeado nem listado. Ele foi demolido em 2017 e programado para ser substituído por um novo cavalete de duas vias ainda naquele ano.

Antes de ser dragado e preenchido para uso pela indústria e transporte marítimo, o delta onde o rio Puyallup encontra a baía de Commencement era regularmente inundado por enchentes e coberto com sedimentos trazidos pelo rio e nas marés. Os membros da tribo Puyallup viveram por muitos séculos em vários vilarejos ao redor da baía e em locais espalhados que chegavam a 25 quilômetros rio acima. Mas o delta em si não era adequado para a vida diária, como evidenciado pelo nome descritivo de partes dele por Puyallups - "solo alagado ou seco de acordo com as marés" ("Relatório de Recursos Culturais"). A evidência arqueológica mais próxima de uma aldeia nativa permanente, datando de cerca de 2.000 anos atrás, vem de um local aproximadamente uma milha a leste da localização do cavalete da curva em S da Milwaukee Road.

A British Hudson's Bay Company abriu o Fort Nisqually em 1833, mas pouco interferiu com os Puyallups, contente em envolvê-los na extensa rede de comércio da empresa. A chegada de um número crescente de colonos permanentes não indígenas após 1845 levou a esforços para separar os Puyallups da maior parte de suas terras. Isso culminou no Tratado de Medicine Creek de 1854, que relegou a tribo a uma reserva de 1.280 acres. Quando as guerras do tratado estouraram no ano seguinte, muitos Puyallups se juntaram à luta contra o governo, e mais de 500 membros tribais foram presos e confinados na Ilha Squaxin em Puget Sound.

A sorte da tribo mudaria novamente depois que a paz fosse restaurada, e as ordens presidenciais em 1857 e 1873 expandiram a reserva para mais de 18.000 acres. A maior parte dessa terra seria posteriormente vendida para não-nativos em transações que eram, em muitos casos, legal e moralmente duvidosas. Após anos de luta, em 1989 a tribo acertou suas reivindicações de terras contra o governo federal, o estado de Washington, a cidade e o porto de Tacoma e uma série de empresas privadas por um total de $ 162 milhões.

Esperando por um trem

As primeiras comunidades não nativas da região de Puget Sound usavam os cursos de água para transporte, assim como os índios. Desenvolveu-se um extenso comércio de navios a vapor costeiro, mas faltavam ligações de transporte terrestre com o resto da nação, ou entre as comunidades locais. Para isso, trilhos e trens eram necessários, as ferrovias eram o acompanhamento necessário do desenvolvimento industrial do Ocidente.

A primeira rota transcontinental, uma colaboração entre as ferrovias Union Pacific e Central Pacific, foi concluída em maio de 1869 e ligava o norte da Califórnia à costa leste. As esperanças aumentaram no noroeste com a notícia de que o Pacífico Norte forneceria um link transcontinental para Puget Sound. Em 1873, Tacoma foi consagrada como o futuro terminal de Puget Sound da ferrovia, uma decisão que devastou os impulsionadores superconfiantes de Seattle. Para Tacomans, seria uma vitória de curta duração, e mesmo que fosse muito adiada - o Pacífico Norte levou 10 anos inteiros, até 1883, para tecer uma linha transcontinental, e chegar a Tacoma ainda exigia uma travessia de trem-balsa do rio Columbia em Kalama. A essa altura, estava ficando claro que Seattle seria o centro comercial de Western Washington e, em 1887, o Northern Pacific transferiu seu terminal ao norte para a cidade na baía de Elliott. Outra linha transcontinental, a Great Northern, terminou de colocar trilhos de St. Paul, Minnesota, a Everett em 1893 e estendeu uma linha de lá para o sul até Seattle e depois para Tacoma sobre trilhos alugados do Pacífico Norte.

Embora com sede em outro lugar, tanto o Pacífico Norte quanto o Grande Norte construíram extensas instalações de transporte e armazenamento em Tacoma. O trabalho estava em andamento desde 1887 para tornar as marés de Commencement Bay utilizáveis ​​para a indústria, e as ferrovias se juntaram a elas, dragando hidrovias e preenchendo pântanos pantanosos na área que o Pacífico Norte havia chamado de "Nova Tacoma". Ao longo dos anos, foi criada uma importante área industrial e portuária que incluía cais, armazéns e outras instalações necessárias para o manuseio de mercadorias e materiais que chegavam de trem e saíam de navio, ou vice-versa. O desenvolvimento industrial transformou radicalmente os pântanos naturais do delta do rio Puyallup.

Trens e cavaletes

As locomotivas do início do século XX geralmente pesavam mais de 200 toneladas e frequentemente transportavam dezenas de vagões de carga pesadamente carregados. Os milhares de pontes e cavaletes construídos para cobrir as lacunas do terreno deviam ser capazes de suportar o grande peso e as forças dinâmicas dos trens que os cruzavam. Antes do uso generalizado de aço e concreto, a disponibilidade imediata de madeiras de grandes dimensões tornava a madeira o material mais comumente usado, especialmente para cavaletes.

Os cavaletes vêm em duas variedades - moldura e pilha. Nos cavaletes, as curvas individuais (as estruturas verticais que sustentam o leito da estrada) assentam sobre uma almofada preparada, que por sua vez repousa sobre uma base feita de estacas ou alvenaria. A principal vantagem de um cavalete é que ele pode ser construído em quase qualquer altura. Os cavaletes são mais adequados para travessias baixas e para cobrir terrenos macios ou pantanosos. Seus suportes principais são cravados profundamente no solo, mas o leito da estrada raramente fica a mais de 35 pés acima do nível do solo.

O cavalete S-Curve em Tacoma foi construído como um cavalete de estacas, a escolha ditada pelo solo macio que teve que cruzar. Os cavaletes podem ser construídos usando um número variável de vigas cravadas no solo em diferentes ângulos - a estaca central ou as estacas retas para baixo e as de ambos os lados inclinados para dentro, resultando em uma curvatura de formato triangular com uma base larga. As pilhas individuais de cada curvatura são interconectadas com reforço lateral e as curvas são freqüentemente conectadas umas às outras de maneira semelhante.

Quando todas as estacas em uma curva foram cravadas o mais fundo possível, seus topos são cortados nivelados e cobertos com uma grande viga de madeira transversal. Várias longarinas pesadas (também chamadas de "cordas") são então colocadas longitudinalmente sobre as tampas, geralmente medindo pelo menos duas dobras e escalonadas. Eles suportam travessas de madeira às quais os trilhos de aço sobre os quais os trens circulam são fixados. Os cavaletes têm dobras que estão juntas, garantindo que o assentamento ou a quebra de um, ou possivelmente mais, não torne toda a estrutura instável.

Slow March West da Milwaukee Road

A Milwaukee Road foi iniciada em 1847 em Wisconsin como Milwaukee and Waukesha Railroad Company. Suas operações se expandiram lentamente para o oeste, mas por mais de 50 anos os trilhos não se estendiam além de Dakota do Norte. Finalmente, em 1905, a ferrovia, apoiada pelos interesses de Rockefeller, decidiu construir seu sistema para chegar a Puget Sound, e se tornaria a última linha transcontinental a ser concluída na América. Chamada formalmente de Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul, a ferrovia queria capturar parte do comércio de toras e produtos de madeira, e a escolha de Tacoma como seu terminal ocidental foi influenciada em grande parte pela proximidade da cidade com as principais operações madeireiras. Outras considerações foram o excelente porto de Commencement Bay e o fato de que o Great Northern e o Northern Pacific já tinham a orla marítima de Seattle bem amarrada.

A Milwaukee Road logo seguiu para o oeste, comprando ou alugando trilhos de companhias ferroviárias locais e construindo novos trilhos próprios. O objetivo era criar uma rota de 2.200 milhas (medida de Chicago) para Tacoma e Seattle, com as linhas para as duas cidades de Puget Sound dividindo-se em Black River Junction. Os trens teriam que cruzar cinco cadeias de montanhas - Saddles, Belts, Rockies, Bitter Roots e Cascades. Foram necessários 51 túneis e um número muito maior de pontes e cavaletes.

Um ano antes da chegada da Milwaukee Road, a comunidade empresarial de Tacoma estava ocupada em angariar entusiasmo local. Em abril de 1908, a Câmara de Comércio e a Junta Comercial da cidade publicou um anúncio de página inteira em Sunset Magazine. Citando um advogado da empresa ferroviária, prometeu:

“Os planos de Chicago, Milwaukee e St. Paul prevêem um desenvolvimento em Tacoma maior do que as pessoas imaginam. É aqui que será feito o negócio da estrada. A sede do negócio de navios a vapor oceânicos da empresa será em Tacoma e esta cidade terão os maiores terminais ocidentais da estrada. "(" Centro de Tráfego de Tacoma. ").

Alcançando Tacoma

Em uma demonstração de engenharia brilhante e construção eficiente, todas as lacunas na linha de Chicago a Puget Sound foram preenchidas em apenas três anos. Em 19 de maio de 1909, o último pico da última ferrovia transcontinental do país foi conduzido em uma cerimônia discreta realizada a oeste de Garrison, Montana. A ferrovia operava inicialmente serviço entre Tacoma e Malden, e o primeiro trem de passageiros a cruzar o cavalete partiu de Tacoma em 14 de junho de 1909. O primeiro serviço de frete também começou em junho de 1909, e o serviço de frete entre Chicago e Tacoma começou em 4 de julho, 1909. Em maio de 1911, a Milwaukee Road começou a transportar passageiros por toda a distância de Chicago a Tacoma e Seattle em seu novo olímpico e Colombiano trens. A ferrovia usava o depósito de passageiros construído pela Tacoma Eastern Railroad na 26th Avenue com a A Street.

Antes que a linha principal para Tacoma alcançasse o rio Puyallup após se dividir em Black River Junction, ela se dividiu novamente em Tacoma Junction. Um conjunto de trilhos conduzia a noroeste até a Milwaukee Waterway em Commencement Bay, onde as impressionantes instalações de navegação da empresa foram construídas. O outro cruzou o rio Puyallup e continuou quase a oeste até o enorme farol da companhia nas marés cheias e o depósito de passageiros do Leste de Tacoma cerca de 2.000 pés mais a oeste. Os trilhos cruzavam uma área baixa e pantanosa que começava perto da interseção das ruas E 25th e East K. Muito disso já havia sido dragado, preenchido e desenvolvido em 1908, mas o solo permaneceu instável e mal compactado e um cavalete foi necessário para transportar os trens através dele. Em comparação com outras estruturas semelhantes ao longo da rota de 2.200 milhas da ferrovia, esta não seria nem particularmente alta nem particularmente longa, mas sua localização em solo instável, úmido e mal compactado dificultou a construção e afetou adversamente sua estabilidade e durabilidade. Um relatório contemporâneo da Milwaukee Road observou:

"O terreno entre as ruas K e G [a área a ser atravessada pelo cavalete] era muito pantanoso e consideráveis ​​assentamentos e subsidência ocorreram no aterro neste lugar. A propriedade estava amplamente coberta por edifícios no momento da compra, que eram movido ou demolido com despesas consideráveis. Foi necessário reajustar a estrada e cruzamentos de rua e reconstruir calçadas, onde foram encontrados. A rua em frente ao farol e trilhas de equipe foi reajustada para acomodar essas instalações ”(" Relatório de inventário histórico ") .

O cavalete original da Milwaukee Road

Há pouca informação disponível sobre os detalhes exatos do cavalete de 1908 da Milwaukee Road, mas ele foi descrito como "uma série de estacas de madeira baixas e pontes de estrutura e trilhos elevados" (Sullivan). Ele ia de perto da East K Street até o farol da ferrovia que estava sendo construído ao mesmo tempo na E 25th Street entre as ruas East D e East G. O cavalete era uma construção difícil, os registros de 1908 observaram que em um local os trabalhadores cravando estacas "atingiram uma penetração de 126 pés cravando três estacas de 45 pés, uma em cima da outra, e nessa profundidade a pilha ainda estava descendo a um bom ritmo "(Sullivan).

Após a conclusão, o cavalete era um pesadelo de manutenção. O peso e a vibração dos trens que cruzam o vão forçaram as estacas de suporte a se aprofundar no solo, fazendo com que os trilhos se curvassem. Para piorar as coisas, a presença constante de umidade no solo estimulava o apodrecimento. Reparos e substituições quase contínuos foram necessários para manter o cavalete operacional e, em meados da década de 1930, estava ficando claro para a ferrovia que seria melhor simplesmente começar tudo de novo.

O cavalete original da curva em S (1937)

Em 1937, os piores efeitos da Grande Depressão diminuíram, as ferrovias desfrutaram de um aumento no tráfego de cargas e passageiros e, à medida que a guerra se aproximava na Europa, a orla de Tacoma tornou-se um importante ponto de embarque para os militares dos EUA e Fort Lewis, localizado a apenas algumas milhas do Sul. A Milwaukee Road decidiu que era hora de substituir o cavalete de Tacoma por um de maior altura e suporte mais resistente. O novo cavalete de madeira de deck aberto teria aproximadamente 1.530 pés de comprimento, situado entre as ruas E 25th e E 26th, e se estendia de aproximadamente East K Street até o farol da Milwaukee Road na East G Street. Uma curta distância além disso, os trilhos foram para o sul e se ramificaram em linhas para Morton, Hoquiam, Raymond e Longview

Foram usadas grandes pilhas, algumas medindo até 25 centímetros quadrados e 25 metros de comprimento. As curvas individuais foram espaçadas aproximadamente 16 pés ao longo da maior parte do comprimento do cavalete, mas havia um vão ininterrupto de 54 pés feito de vigas I de aço rebitadas sobre os trilhos do Pacífico Norte entre as ruas East J e K (conhecido como "cruzamento da cervejaria" ) e um vão de aço semelhante, mas mais longo, de 82 pés, onde o cavalete passava por um cruzamento perto da East G Street na outra extremidade. Houve também três locais onde madeiras pesadas foram usadas para abranger vãos de menos de 30 pés.

As estacas usadas para construir as curvas eram pinheiros Douglas creosotados e, na maioria dos casos, eram cravadas a uma profundidade de 15 a 55 pés. Foram 97 curvas no total, de nove alturas diferentes para acomodar os desníveis do terreno. Uma configuração de seis estacas foi usada para a maioria das dobras, com as duas estacas centrais cravadas diretamente no solo e as quatro estacas laterais, duas de cada lado, cravadas em um ângulo de forma que se inclinassem no topo. A largura das dobras em suas bases variava de 5 a 6 metros. Duas dobras usavam apenas cinco pilhas cada, dispensando uma das centrais. As dobras individuais diferiam de outras maneiras, exceto para as duas seções da ponte de aço, dormentes foram colocados no topo de seis ou oito vigas de madeira longitudinais (chamadas "longarinas" ou "cordas") que variavam em tamanho de acordo com a localização, mas nunca eram menores do que 10 polegadas por 17 1/4 polegadas. Algumas curvas tinham quatro travessas diagonais e duas horizontais, outras apenas duas diagonais e uma única horizontal.

Houve um desvio significativo do caminho do cavalete original. Cerca de 200 pés a oeste de seu ponto de partida perto da East K Street, a nova estrutura virou ligeiramente para o sul e manteve esse desvio por aproximadamente 500 pés antes de se endireitar. Medida a partir da E 25th Street, paralela à pista, a curva moveu os trilhos cerca de 30 pés ao sul de um caminho em linha reta. É esta característica que fez com que a estrutura fosse chamada de cavalete de curva em S, embora vista do ar seja um "S" bem relaxado. A razão exata para este desvio de um caminho reto não é aparente hoje.

O novo cavalete foi uma melhoria, mas não resolveu os problemas subjacentes. A estrutura continuou a se acomodar e a deteriorar, e grandes projetos de substituição de estacas foram necessários em 1947, 1958 e 1960. Um descarrilamento de 1961 danificou o leito da estrada entre as curvas 11 e 21. Nesse mesmo ano, a Milwaukee Road encerrou seu serviço transcontinental de passageiros para se concentrar no transporte de mercadorias. Em 1962, 80 das 97 curvas do cavalete da curva em S foram substituídas e o trabalho adicional em 1976 substituiu muitas das longarinas e dormentes de ferrovia.

O cavalete S-Curve foi projetado em 1937 para lidar com as locomotivas mais pesadas então em uso. As locomotivas modernas pesam menos e criam forças dinâmicas menores e menos vibração do que os modelos mais antigos. À medida que os motores mais novos passaram a ser amplamente usados, o assentamento das pilhas do cavalete diminuiu e, após as grandes reformas de 1962, o vão sobreviveu com uma manutenção mais modesta, embora o apodrecimento da madeira continuasse sendo um problema sério e contínuo.

O Milwaukee sai da estrada

A Milwaukee Road pode não ter sido a maior empresa ferroviária do país, mas foi uma das mais inovadoras. O Great Northern havia eletrificado sua linha através do túnel Cascade já em 1909, mas no final de 1916 a Milwaukee Road iniciou uma eletrificação muito mais extensa, começando em Montana e Idaho. O trabalho para eletrificar a linha de Othello, Washington, para Tacoma começou no início de 1917 e foi concluído em março de 1920. Em Tacoma, a ferrovia eletrificou a linha através do cavalete para sua estação de passageiros para os trens de passageiros, e a linha para seu pátio ferroviário e loja de locomotivas nas planícies das marés.

A eletrificação envolveu despesas iniciais consideráveis, mas economizou dinheiro no longo prazo, usando energia hidrelétrica abundante e barata gerada nos rios ao longo do caminho e distribuída por subestações construídas em ferrovias. Também protegia os passageiros do risco não insignificante de asfixia do túnel pela fumaça e exaustão dos motores a vapor e a diesel. Eventualmente, um total de 656 milhas, mais de um quarto da rota da Milwaukee Road a oeste, seria eletrificado - 440 milhas entre Harlowton, Montana e Avery, Idaho (que entrou online no início de 1917) e 216 milhas entre Othello em Eastern Washington e Tacoma (que entrou no ar em 1920). Combinados, foi o mais longo trecho de serviço de trem eletrificado do mundo. Mas foi só em 1927 que os cabos aéreos da empresa finalmente chegaram a Seattle.

Entre as outras melhorias que a Milwaukee Road introduziu ou estava prestes a adotar estavam os carros de passageiros com ar-condicionado, vagões de carga refrigerados para produtos perecíveis, trens de passageiros de alta velocidade e o uso de transporte em contêineres. A ferrovia teve problemas financeiros durante grande parte de sua existência, mas teve um bom desempenho durante os anos pós-Segunda Guerra Mundial e durante os anos 1950. Com o crescimento das viagens aéreas, o serviço de passageiros da maioria das ferrovias estava operando com prejuízo e, em 1961, a Milwaukee Road parou de transportar passageiros em Tacoma / Seattle-a-Chicago. A empresa passaria grande parte das próximas duas décadas tentando se livrar do negócio de ferrovias por meio de fusão ou venda. Como parte desse esforço, as manutenções necessárias foram postergadas para tornar os balanços patrimoniais da linha mais atraentes.

Em 1970, a tendência entre as ferrovias era de maior consolidação e, naquele ano, o Great Northern e o Northern Pacific se fundiram em Burlington Northern, trazendo economias de escala e outras vantagens competitivas. No entanto, como condição para a aprovação da fusão, a Milwaukee Road ganhou acesso a Portland, e por um tempo se beneficiou do aumento do tráfego de carga. Infelizmente, os anos de manutenção adiada logo o alcançaram. O leito ferroviário e os trilhos nos quais os trens circulavam começaram a falhar, exigindo velocidades mais lentas e causando atrasos frequentes. As programações de frete tornaram-se mais consultivas do que reais, e os remetentes fugiram. Os descarrilamentos tornaram-se alarmantemente frequentes durante um período particularmente ruim, seções da linha principal através de Montana tiveram em média um descarrilamento por dia. Em alguns trilhos, especialmente nas montanhas, os trens não podiam correr mais rápido do que 10 m.p.h. Equipamentos quebrados freqüentemente eram estacionados em vez de consertados. Finalmente, em 19 de dezembro de 1977, a Milwaukee Road, com pouco equipamento, menos dinheiro e sobrecarregada com milhares de quilômetros de pistas deterioradas e milhares de toneladas de equipamentos velhos ou quebrados, entrou com um pedido de recuperação judicial junto ao tribunal federal de falências de Chicago.

O processo de falência foi longo e contencioso. Sindicatos, carregadores e comunidades ao longo da rota da ferrovia contestaram seu pedido de fechamento de suas operações no oeste. Mas em 31 de janeiro de 1980, a Interstate Commerce Commission votou para permitir que a Milwaukee Road se afastasse de todas as suas linhas entre Miles City, Montana e Seattle-Tacoma. O serviço foi interrompido em um mês e os ativos da ferrovia a oeste de Montana foram vendidos aos poucos ou simplesmente abandonados. A Sea-Land Services Inc., uma grande empresa de transporte marítimo, acabou ficando com grande parte das propriedades e instalações de Commencement Bay da ferrovia.

Quando a empresa finalmente saiu da falência, era apenas uma linha do Meio-Oeste, e mesmo ela havia desaparecido em 1985, adquirida pela Linha Soo. A histórica Milwaukee Road de antigamente não existia e nunca seria novamente, mas o cavalete de curva em S que havia construído em Tacoma quase 50 anos antes ainda estava de pé. A cidade de Tacoma eventualmente assumiu a propriedade e, em 1998, o sistema ferroviário de Tacoma começou a usar o cavalete como parte de sua linha da Divisão de Montanha.

Hello to Sound Transit

A longa e complicada história de esforços para criar um sistema regional de transporte de massa está fora do escopo deste ensaio. Basta dizer que, após anos de controvérsia, debate e falsos começos, em setembro de 1993 os condados de Snohomish, Pierce e King estabeleceram uma Autoridade de Trânsito Regional (RTA). Em outubro de 1994, a autoridade adotou um Plano de Trânsito Regional, apenas para vê-lo derrubado pelos eleitores em março seguinte. Seguiu-se mais de uma década de planejamento e estudo e, em maio de 1996, a autoridade tentou novamente, propondo o "Movimento Sonoro", um plano de 10 anos para ligar Everett, Seattle, Tacoma e pontos intermediários por meio de trens urbanos. Em agosto de 1996, o RTA adotou o nome "Sound Transit" para todo o sistema e "Sounder" para o planejado serviço regional de trens urbanos. O plano finalmente foi aprovado pelos eleitores nas eleições de novembro de 1996.

A Weyerhaeuser Company assumiu grande parte da pista da falida Milwaukee Road perto de Commencement Bay, incluindo a Curva em S cavalete. No final da década de 1990, os trilhos foram vendidos para Tacoma Public Works, que por sua vez celebrou um acordo com a Tacoma Rail para o uso e manutenção da linha por esta última, e posteriormente compartilharia os trilhos e cavaletes com os trens urbanos Sounder da Sound Transit. Em 18 de setembro de 2000, o primeiro trem de passageiros regularmente programado entre Tacoma e Seattle partiu de uma plataforma temporária que estava localizada a oeste da estação Tacoma Amtrak na Portland Avenue. Um segundo trem partiu meia hora depois, e os dois inverteram o curso para o trajeto noturno de volta a Tacoma. O número total de passageiros naquele primeiro dia foi de cerca de 1.100.

À medida que o tráfego de automóveis para os deslocamentos matinais e noturnos piorava, a popularidade do trem metropolitano Sounder crescia. Em 2002, um terceiro trem foi adicionado à programação e, em setembro de 2003, a Tacoma Dome Station foi inaugurada na Freighthouse Square, onde o antigo armazém da Milwaukee Road havia sido preservado. Em 2012, com Lakewood adicionada como uma parada adicional, a linha Sounder South para Pierce County cresceu para 10 viagens de ida e volta por dia (incluindo cinco da estação de Lakewood) que funcionavam a cada 20 minutos e transportavam uma média de 10.500 passageiros durante a semana.

Fora com o velho, dentro com o novo

Os elegantes trens de passageiros Sounder operavam quase inteiramente em trilhos que já existiam há um pouco mais de tempo do que o Sound Transit, incluindo o único conjunto no topo do cavalete S-Curve. Conforme a popularidade do transporte ferroviário cresceu e o número de trens e corridas aumentou, o cavalete exigiu manutenção constante e se tornou um gargalo para o tráfego ferroviário. Em 2008, os eleitores aprovaram uma medida eleitoral "Sound Transit 2", que incluiu o financiamento para um novo cavalete, estimado em US $ 62 milhões (em dólares de 2014). Os planos originais previam que a construção ocorresse em 2023, mas uma doação de US $ 10 milhões do Departamento de Transporte dos EUA mudou a data de conclusão estimada para 2017.

Em uma avaliação emitida em dezembro de 2012, o Departamento de Arqueologia e Preservação Histórica do estado determinou que o cavalete da curva em S era elegível para listagem no Registro Nacional de Locais Históricos, revertendo pelo menos duas conclusões anteriores. Embora tenha sido amplamente reconstruído desde 1937, o cavalete manteve quase exatamente a mesma aparência e, em 2012, até mesmo a grande reforma de 1962 tinha 50 anos. A descoberta de significado histórico foi baseada na "associação do cavalete aos padrões gerais de desenvolvimento e crescimento de Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul e Pacífico e sua relação com a assistência no movimento de mercadorias de e para Tacoma". Também foi determinado ser "um recurso que incorpora as características distintivas de seu tipo, um cavalete RR. E é de design incomum em comparação com outros recursos semelhantes em todo o estado" (Carta, Houser para Paul).

Apesar desta descoberta, o cavalete não foi nomeado nem listado. A preservação do antigo cavalete era econômica e praticamente inviável e, em 2014, estava em andamento a fase de concepção do projeto de substituição. O histórico cavalete S-Curve foi demolido em 2017 e sua substituição, uma ponte ferroviária de via dupla, deveria ser concluída até o final do ano.

Trem de carga Tacoma Rail, S-Curve Trestle, Tacoma, 17 de junho de 2006

Foto de Steve Carter, cortesia de SteveCarterPhotography.com

Sound Transit Sonda trem suburbano, cavalete S-Curve, Tacoma

Delta do rio Puyallup na baía do começo, Monte Rainier à distância, Tacoma, ca. 1885

Cortesia da Washington Historical Society (2013.0.194)

Mapa, baía inicial e marés, desenvolvimento inicial, Tacoma, 1888

Cortesia dos Estados Unidos Coast and Geodetic Survey

Desenvolvimento inicial, planícies de maré Commencement Bay, Tacoma, 1891

Cortesia da Washington State Historical Society (2013.0.196)

Anúncio promocional da Câmara de Comércio e Junta Comercial de Tacoma para a ferrovia Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul, Sunset Magazine, 1908

Marcador, último pico, Milwaukee Road Pacific Division, perto de Garrison, Montana, 19 de maio de 1909

Cortesia The Milwaukee Road Magazine

Trabalhadores japoneses e funcionários da ferrovia, cerimônia do "último pico" da Milwaukee Road, perto de Garrison, Montana, 19 de maio de 1909

Cortesia da Montana Historical Society

Farol da Milwaukee Road, Tacoma, 1909

Cortesia Notícias sobre ferrovias e marítimas

Ônibus de passageiros, depósito North Bend, ca. 1910

Advertising, Milwaukee Road, The Seattle Times, 27 de maio de 1911

Depósito de passageiros da Old Milwaukee Road (à esquerda), antigo depósito oriental de Tacoma, ruas 25 e A, Tacoma, 2 de maio de 1912

Cortesia da Washington State Historical Society (2006.0.263)

Chicago, Milwaukee e pátio de carga do terminal ferroviário de St. Paul, Tacoma, 1918

Foto de Asahel Curtis, Cortesia UW Special Collections (CUR1379)

Depósito da Milwaukee Road, E 11th e Milwaukee Way, Tacoma, 1954

Cortesia The Milwaukee Road Magazine

Chicago Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad seda trem, ca. 1921

Cortesia MOHAI (1983.10.2199.1)

Docas, armazéns da Milwaukee Road, Tacoma, ca. 1936

Decalque, Milwaukee Road's olímpico trem de passageiros, Chicago para Tacoma, ca. 1925

Cortesia da Washington State Historical Society (01/08/2007)

Decalque, Milwaukee Road's Olímpico Hiawatha trem de passageiros, ca. 1947

Cortesia da Washington State Historical Society (19/01/1997)

Pôster olímpico de Hiawatha de Milwaukee Road, ca. 1952

Sound Transit Sonda trem suburbano, cavalete S-Curve, Tacoma

Desenho, curvatura típica de seis estacas, cavalete de curva em S, Tacoma, 1981


Baía do começo- transportadora de escolta de classe

o Commencement Bay-class escort aircraft carriers were the last class of escort carriers built for the US Navy in World War II.

  • 10,900 long tons (11,100 t) standard
  • 24,100 long tons (24,500 t) full load
  • 525 ft (160 m) wl
  • 557 ft 1 in (169.80 m) oa
  • 75 ft (23 m)
  • 105 ft 2 in (32.05 m) flight deck
  • 2 × 5"/38 caliber guns (1 × 2)
  • 36 × 40 mm Bofors gun (3 × 4, 12 × 2)
  • 20 × 20 mm Oerlikon cannons

The ships were based on the Maritime Commission type T3 Tanker hull, which gave them a displacement of approximately 23,000 tons and a length of 557 feet (170 m). Unlike most earlier escort carrier classes, which were laid down as something else and converted to aircraft carriers mid-construction, the Commencement Bays were built as carriers from the keel up. Their general layout was similar to the Sangamon-class escort carriers, but some of the Sangamon's engineering shortcomings were addressed.

They entered service late in World War II – USS Commencement Bay launched on 9 May 1944 – so most of them saw little or no operational service. Thirty-three of them were ordered but many were cancelled prior to completion. Nineteen saw commissioned service in the US Navy, four were broken up on the ways at the end of the war, two were accepted from the builders, but never commissioned and the remainder were cancelled before being laid down.

After the war they were seen as potential helicopter, anti-submarine, or auxiliary (transport) carriers, and a number of ships served in these roles during the Korean War. The oncoming jet age ended their careers, as the ships were no longer large enough to safely carry the much larger jet aircraft of the late 1950s, and all units were out of service or reclassified by 1960.


CVE-106 U.S.S. Commencement Bay - History

A bay of Puget Sound, near Tacoma, Wash.

(CVE 106 dp. 11,373 1. 677'1" b. 75' ew. 105'2"
dr. 32' s. 19 k. cpl. 1,066 a. 2 5" cl. Começo
Bay)

Commencement Bay (CVE-106) was launched 9 May 1944 by Seattle Tacoma Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Wash. sponsored by Mrs. F. Eves and commissioned 27 November, 1944, Captain R. L. Bowman in command.

Commencement Bay reported at Seattle 1 February 1945 for duty as a training ship in Puget Sound until 2 October. During this time she trained 545 officers and 5,053 men of precommissioning crews for sister escort carriers, and qualified 249 pilots of eight air groups in carrier takeoffs and landings. She sailed from Bremerton 21 October 1945, and arrived at Pearl Harbor 4 l November for training and to conduct carrier qualifications until sailing 27 November for Seattle and Tacoma.

After visits to Los Angeles and San Pedro, she returned to Tacoma 28 January, where she was placed out of commission in reserve 30 November 1946. She was reclassified CVHE-106, 12 June 1955 and AKV-37, 7 May 1959.


HistoryLink.org

On May 31, 1919, Pierce County voters approve the "comprehensive scheme" of development prepared for the newly formed Port of Tacoma by consulting engineer Frank J. Walsh. The Port, which was created in a November 1918 vote, will inaugurate shipping at its first pier on March 25, 1921. Over the next nine decades, the Port of Tacoma will become a leading container port, serving as a "Pacific Gateway" for trade between Asia and the central and eastern United States as well as the Northwest, and handling most of the maritime commerce between Alaska and the lower 48 states. With ample room to expand on the tideflats fronting the deep waters of Commencement Bay, the Port will develop multiple waterways accommodating the largest ocean-going cargo ships and will create efficient intermodal transportation connections between ships and road or rail, often right on the dock.

Second Try Succeeds

Longshoremen, business leaders, and politicians from Tacoma were prominent in the ranks of reformers who in 1911 won passage of Washington's Port District Act, authorizing local voters to form public port districts to acquire and improve harbor facilities necessary to retain and expand maritime trade and commerce. But a year later, when proponents placed on the November 1912 ballot a proposal to create a public Port of Tacoma encompassing all of Pierce County, the measure was narrowly defeated. City voters supported the proposal, but many rural residents feared that a port would only benefit urban businesses.

In 1918, as the Tacoma waterfront hummed with activity generated by World War I, port proponents tried again. W. H. Paulhamus, a state senator and president of the Puyallup and Sumner Fruit Growers' Canning Company, gained rural support by arguing that a public port could build a cold-storage building on the waterfront, making it easier for farmers to preserve and ship their produce. Steamship company executives and other businessmen advocated for the port measure, as did the Tacoma Daily Ledger and longshore union members.

This time voters across Pierce County were convinced and they approved creation of the Port of Tacoma on November 5, 1918. Edward Kloss, Charles W. Orton, and Chester Thorne were elected port commissioners. They hired engineer Frank J. Walsh to create the "comprehensive scheme of harbor improvement" that the Port District Act required. Under the law, county voters had to approve both the harbor plan and the bonds that the Port would have to sell to fund construction.

Planning and Building

Walsh prepared a plan for harbor development on 240 acres of land along the Middle Waterway, where he recommended that the port's first two piers be built. The port commission placed the plan, and a measure authorizing the sale of $2.5 million in bonds to fund it, on the ballot for May 31, 1919. Voters approved both measures by fairly wide margins. However, support for the port bonds was weaker outside Tacoma, and it was several days before it was clear that the bond measure had barely, by a few hundred votes, surpassed the required 60 percent threshold.

Construction began on March 25, 1920, and exactly one year later the Edmore arrived at the newly finished Pier 1 to take on the first cargo shipped from the Port of Tacoma. Port business grew so quickly that within a year the commissioners approved a 300-foot extension of Pier 1. By 1923 Pier 2 was completed. During the 1920s, the Port's cargo tonnage doubled. By the end of the decade, at least 25 steamship lines made regular stops in Tacoma.

The Port Commission worked throughout the decade to build the promised cold-storage plant that had helped persuade voters to approve the port. The plant opened in 1931. In the meantime, voters in 1928 approved a new port bond issue allowing construction of a grain elevator that began operation in 1930.

Depression and War

When the Depression hit Tacoma's waterfront, cargo tonnage dropped sharply. Tacoma's maritime commerce rebounded somewhat after Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882-1945) became president. Roosevelt's New Deal reforms gave unions more clout than they previously had. When employers refused collective bargaining, longshore and other shipping-industry unions shut down ports on the entire West Coast in the great waterfront strike of 1934. Federal arbitration settled the strike in favor of the longshore union, creating the union hiring hall that still exists. Although significant, the hiring hall victory did not directly affect the Tacoma longshore locals, which were fully closed shop even before the strike, the only large longshore unions on the coast to enjoy that distinction.

The Depression slowed the Port's development until the 1939 state legislature gave public ports new powers to develop industrial sites. Port of Tacoma commissioners were among the first to take advantage of the new authority, setting up an Industrial Development District south of 11th Street between Hylebos Creek and Milwaukee Way. The Port began to recruit tenants, but World War II put the project on hold.

Like so much else, the Tacoma waterfront was largely given over to the military effort from 1942 to 1945. Thousands of troops from nearby Fort Lewis were dispatched to the Pacific theater from Port of Tacoma piers. Longshoremen were busier than during the Depression, but not all found full-time work, due in part to the fact that Seattle took the lion's share of the region's army and navy business. Increased mechanization on the docks also reduced the number of longshore workers needed, as the military spent freely on new equipment like forklifts and larger cranes.

A Key Advantage

After the war ended in 1945, the Port, like the rest of the country, faced a rocky transition back to a civilian economy. With the massive war mobilization over, waterfront manufacturing declined sharply. Maritime trade fell by 90 percent in 1946, to well below pre-war levels. The Port of Tacoma Commission responded to the nationwide downturn by renewing its interrupted efforts to attract manufacturers to the Industrial Development District it had established before the war. But even after Purex, Concrete Technology, Stauffer Chemical, and Western Boat Building all set up shop in the Industrial District, the port had not returned to pre-war business levels.

In the early 1950s, the commissioners embarked on further improvements to attract more development. They dredged the Industrial Waterway, located on the tideflats between the Puyallup River and Hylebos Creek and Waterway, to accomodate larger ships. In 1955, the commission hired Tibbetts-Abbett-McCarthy-Stratton (TAMS) to prepare a detailed comprehensive plan for future port development. The study proposed making maximizing a key competitive advantage: The Port of Tacoma's significant acreage on the deep waters of Commencement Bay was one of the few locations in Puget Sound where industry had direct access to deep water. The TAMS plan called for the Port to extend and widen the Industrial (later Blair) Waterway and Hylebos Waterway and construct ship-turning basins adjacent to the Industrial District at the ends of the lengthened waterways.

Mechanization and Modernization

In 1957, Tacoma longshore workers ended a 20-year rift by voting to affiliate with the International Longshoremen’s and Warehousemen’s Union (ILWU), headed by Harry Bridges (1901-1990). As ILWU members, Tacoma workers were parties to the Mechanization and Modernization Agreement that Bridges and the ILWU negotiated with West Coast shipping and stevedoring management. The agreement gave employers freedom to introduce both "mechanization" (labor-saving machinery) and "modernization" (work rules requiring greater efficiency) in return for a commitment of no layoffs and a guaranteed 35 hours of work (or pay) per week.

The agreement opened the way for employers to take advantage of two new, more efficient cargo-loading methods being developed during the 1950s. Bulk ships carrying large cargos of loose material like grain or ore were loaded and unloaded by large hoses that sucked or blew the material from ship to storage or vice versa. Container ships allowed most other cargo to be loaded into a large box (20 or 40 feet long) at the factory or warehouse, hauled by truck or train to the dock, and lifted aboard ship by crane.

Bulk and container ships were not yet common on the Tacoma waterfront when the agreement was ratified in 1961, but signs of change at the port were clear as dredging cranes and landfill reshaped the tideflats while warehouses and manufacturing shops were constructed for newly arriving businesses. Kaiser Aluminum reopened the aluminum smelter it had originally constructed on the tideflats in 1941.

New Leadership

In 1964, the port commission hired Ernest L. "Roy" Perry as general manager. He served until 1976, completing the expansion of the Blair and Hylebos Waterways called for in the TAMS plan and bringing the Port of Tacoma into the container age. The Port built new warehouses and piers for container cargo at Terminal 4 near the mouth of Blair Waterway and at Terminal 7 on Sitcum Waterway. The Port of Tacoma entered the container business in 1970, when the first container crane was built at Terminal 7.

Two prominent alumina domes -- sometimes termed the "original Tacoma domes" -- were also built at Terminal 7, to store ore for use at the Kaiser smelter. Pierce County Terminal was constructed at the head of Blair Waterway, where large amounts of storage space allowed the terminal to handle special cargo like locomotives, military equipment, and logs the terminal also served as the first major center for the growing number of automobiles imported from Asia through Tacoma.

In 1968 Perry increased the Port's investment in industrial property by acquiring 500 acres in Frederickson, an unincorporated area of Pierce County 13 miles south of the port's Commencement Bay terminals. Over the years Frederickson has developed as a major industrial center.

During the 1970s, Tacoma continued to be a major exporter of forest products, as it had been since its founding. Two new export facilities were built in 1972 and 1973: Blair Terminal, with two berths for log exports, was followed by Weyerhaeuser's $4.5 million, 25-acre wood-chip facility on Blair Waterway. In 1975, the Port significantly increased its capacity to handle another leading export, grain, by building the Continental Grain Terminal, with a capacity of three million bushels, on Commencement Bay north of downtown Tacoma.

Rapid Growth

Worldwide trade increased at record rates in the 1970s, much faster than its growth in prior decades. Growth was particularly rapid at the Port of Tacoma, much of it in trade with Pacific Rim countries, whose share of Washington state trade rose steadily. After 1979, when the 30-year American trade embargo was lifted, the People's Republic of China joined Japan, Taiwan, and Korea as major trading partners for the Port of Tacoma. By 1982, the Port had tripled tonnage moved and quadrupled revenues over the levels of a decade earlier.

The Port of Tacoma's domestic trade also increased exponentially in the 1970s. Local 23 longshoremen worked with Port management to convince Totem Ocean Trailer Express (TOTE), a leading shipper to Alaska, to move its operations from Seattle to Tacoma. TOTE's first ship began calling at Terminal 7 in 1976 and the company added a second vessel in 1977.

The Port of Tacoma helped pioneer a new phase in trade and transportation history in 1981 when it opened its North Intermodal Yard, the first dockside railyard on the West Coast, located on the main port peninsula between the docks of Terminal 7 on Sitcum Waterway and Terminal 4 on Blair Waterway. The success of the Port's pioneering intermodal connection led to expansions and upgrades of the North Intermodal Yard throughout the 1980s. The Port also opened the South Intermodal Yard, immediately across E 11th Street from Sitcum Waterway, and the new intermodal connections helped fuel the Port of Tacoma's rapid growth during the 1980s. In subsequent decades, the Port built new dockside intermodal yards in conjunction with two new terminal projects, Washington United Terminals and Pierce County Terminal.

New Arrivals

After the giant container line Sea-Land announced in 1983 that it would move from Seattle to Tacoma, the Port designed and built the $44 million Sea-Land Terminal on Sitcum Waterway, and constructed a new terminal for TOTE's Alaska service to make room for the Sea-Land container terminal. Within weeks after Sea-Land's first ship docked in 1985, another large container shipping company, the Danish line Maersk, arrived. (In 1999, Maersk bought Sea-Land's international shipping business, creating Maersk Sealand, the world's largest container shipping operation, which remained a major shipper from Tacoma until moving to Seattle in 2009.)

In 1988, K Line, from Japan, became the third large container line in three years to begin serving Tacoma. The additional container ships brought further growth to the Port's intermodal yards. In 1987, the old United Grain Terminal, one of the Port's earliest projects (which closed after the larger Continental Grain facility opened), was demolished to allow expansion of the North Intermodal Yard to handle the increase in container traffic K Line would bring.

The Port continued to grow as the 1990s opened. In 1991, another major container shipper, Taiwan's Evergreen Line, began serving the Port's Terminal 4. The new arrival helped the port reach the one-million-container mark that year for the first time in its history. Before the Port could develop the upper Blair Waterway to handle the increasing number of cargo ships, a replacement had to be found for the Blair Bridge, which carried E 11th Street over the waterway. The drawbridge opening of 150 feet, more than adequate when the bridge was built in the 1950s, was too small for the giant container ships of the late twentieth century. In 1997, the replacement route via State Route 509 was opened, allowing the Blair Bridge to be removed and unlocking the upper Blair Waterway for development.

That same year Hyundai Merchant Marine entered a 30-year lease for the first container terminal to be built on the upper Blair Waterway. Opened in 1999 and named Washington United Terminals (WUT), the facility included the Hyundai Intermodal Yard. Container volumes set records in four of the next seven years, increasing by 62 percent overall.

Transition and Progress

The Tacoma tideflats' transition away from large manufacturing continued as the Kaiser Aluminum smelter, which had at its peak employed hundreds of workers, closed in 2000 due to increasing power costs and the effects of a long strike. Although the loss of jobs hurt the local economy at the time, the 96-acre Kaiser property soon became a key part of the Port's future development plans.

The attacks that occurred on September 11 had lasting effects on the Port as on the rest of the world. Beginning in 2002, the Port of Tacoma, along with other ports in Puget Sound and around the country, received federal grants to test and upgrade security at the ports and to improve "supply chain security" from the point of origin abroad to the final U.S. destination.

The Port's plans for expansion on upper Blair Waterway received a major boost in 2003, when Evergreen Line agreed to lease a new container terminal to be built at the head of the waterway, replacing the old Pierce County Terminal that had handled bulk cargo. Until then, some container shippers had doubts about the accessibility of the two-mile-long waterway, but with Evergreen in place others soon expressed interest. The new 171-acre, $210 million Pierce County Terminal and Intermodal Yard, which the Port built for Evergreen over the next two years, was the largest construction project in Port history.

In October 2003, the Port opened the $40 million, 146.5-acre Marshall Avenue Auto Facility, which could store and process nearly 20,000 vehicles at a time. Two months later, the one-millionth Mazda imported through the port drove off a transport ship at Blair Terminal and made its way to the Marshall Avenue facility.

The year 2005 brought a chain reaction of new terminal openings. In January, Evergreen Line moved to the newly opened Pierce County Terminal. In July, the new Husky Terminal, at Evergreen's former Terminal 4 location, doubled the presence of K Line at Tacoma. And in October, the Port completed the Olympic Container Terminal, an expansion of K Line's prior home at Terminal 7.

Facing the Future

The three new terminals, and continued increases in imports from Asia, especially China, led to two more record-setting years: volume topped two million containers for the first time in 2005 and rose further to set an all-time record in 2006. After that, Tacoma's container volumes declined, with the sharpest drop being from 2008 to 2009, as world-wide cargo traffic slumped due to the recession following the collapse of the U.S. housing bubble. The economic downturn also caused the Port to put some plans for expansion on hold. In 2007, when the Port and NYK Line of Japan entered an agreement for NYK to begin service to Tacoma in 2012, the plan was to construct a new container terminal on the east side of Blair Waterway. Those plans were altered and now call for NYK ships to use an existing terminal when they begin calling in 2012. By late 2010 and the start of 2011, container traffic appeared to be rebounding, as existing shippers increased service, with K Line bringing new, larger ships to Tacoma and Evergreen resuming routes it had suspended during the downturn.

Meanwhile, the Port continued to plan for the future. As it readied property for development when the economy improved, the Port proceeded with major environmental projects, including clean up of former industrial sites and wetland restoration along its waterways, planning to spend nearly $40 million by 2015. In 2010, the Port of Tacoma became the first in the Pacific Northwest to provide shore power for cargo vessels. The shore power plug installation at the TOTE terminal allows TOTE cargo ships to shut off their diesel engines while docked, reducing emissions by as much as 90 percent.

More than 90 years after its creation by the voters of Pierce County, the Port of Tacoma continues to transform the landscape of Commencement Bay and the economy of the region and to play a major role in international and domestic trade.

Washington Public Ports Association

Longshore strade drivers, Port of Tacoma

Map of Port of Tacoma showing Port's terminals, intermodal yards, and waterways (from left: Puyallup River, Sitcum Waterway, Blair Waterway, and Hylebos Waterway with aquatic habitat to right), Tacoma, ca. 2008

Edward Kloss, Charles W. Orton, and Chester Thorne, first Port of Tacoma Commissioners, 1918

Frank J. Walsh Master Plan for Port of Tacoma, 1918

Pacific Coast Steamship Company's Edmore, first ship to call at Port of Tacoma, March 25, 1921

United Grain Terminal (foreground) and cold storage facility (background), Port of Tacoma, 1930s

Todd-Pacific Shipyard (center), and Port of Tacoma piers (upper left), Commencement Bay, 1940s

Dredging Blair Waterway, Port of Tacoma, Tacoma, 1966

Totem Ocean Trailer Express "roll on/ roll off" vessel serving Alaska, docked at Terminal 7, Port of Tacoma, ca. 1977

Bulk vessel loading grain at Cargill Continental Grain Terminal, Port of Tacoma

o Sunrise delivers two Hitachi container cranes for Sea-Land's Port of Tacoma terminal, December 1984

Dredging for construction of Port of Tacoma's Pierce County Terminal, Tacoma, December 18, 2002

First Evergreen Marine Corporation ship to call at new Pierce County Terminal, Port of Tacoma, December 22, 2004

o Yang Ming Heights berthed at Olympic Container Terminal, Port of Tacoma, ca. 2005


Puget Sound Wastewater Carries Emerging Contaminants

A new study of emerging contaminants entering Puget Sound in wastewater plant effluent found some of the nation’s highest concentrations of these chemical compounds, and detected many in fish at concentrations that may affect their growth or behavior.

The study by scientists from NOAA Fisheries’ Northwest Fisheries Science Center and the University of Washington tested for 150 of the contaminants and detected 81 of the compounds in wastewater flowing into Puget Sound estuaries. They include pharmaceuticals such as the antidepressant Prozac and the diabetes medication metformin, personal care products such as antibacterial compounds from soap and industrial chemicals.

The study also examined juvenile Chinook salmon and Pacific staghorn sculpin, both fish native to Puget Sound, and found 42 of the emerging compounds in their tissue. Some of the compounds such as fluoxetine (also known as Prozac), the diabetes drug metformin and the antibacterial compound triclosan were present in fish tissues at levels that may be high enough to adversely affect their growth, reproduction, or behavior.

“There’s also the problem of not knowing how these chemicals act in fish when they are found together as a mixture,” said James Meador, a NOAA Fisheries research scientist and lead author of the research published this week in the journal Environmental Pollution. “Mixtures such as these may result in responses that occur at lower concentrations than single compounds alone.”

The research did not examine the potential effects on human health of consuming fish from Puget Sound, and it is unknown if these levels of emerging contaminants detected in fish could affect people.

The study funded in large part by the Washington Department of Ecology examined wastewater plant effluent, estuary water, and fish found in the Puyallup River estuary in Tacoma’s Commencement Bay, Sinclair Inlet in Bremerton, and the Nisqually River estuary near Tacoma. The Nisqually estuary was included as a reference site because it does not have a major wastewater treatment plant and has been used historically as a reference site for toxicity studies. Unexpectedly, they found that fish and water in the Nisqually estuary also contained high concentrations of some emerging compounds.

The study also noted that the relatively high pH of seawater often makes the contaminants more bioavailable and therefore more likely to be absorbed by marine fish compared to fish in freshwater, Meador said.

The researchers noted that since the two major wastewater treatment plants they examined in the Puyallup and Sinclair Inlet discharged a total of 71 million liters per day, “it is possible that a substantial load of potentially harmful chemicals are introduced into streams and nearshore marine waters daily.” If the two wastewater plants sampled in the study are representative of others around Puget Sound, the researchers calculated that nearly 300 pounds of the emerging contaminants likely enter Puget Sound every day.

“When you add it all up, you get millions of gallons of effluent discharging into these estuaries,” Meador said. “This is right in the area where juvenile salmon and other fish are feeding and growing.”


Our Newsletter

Product Description

USS Commencement Bay CVE 105

"The Bay Wake"

World War II Cruise Book

Bring the Cruise Book to Life with this Multimedia Presentation

This CD will Exceed your Expectations

A great part of Naval history.

You would be purchasing the USS Commencement Bay cruise book during World War II. Each page has been placed on a CD for years of enjoyable computer viewing. o CD comes in a plastic sleeve with a custom label. Every page has been enhanced and is readable. Rare cruise books like this sell for a hundred dollars or more when buying the actual hard copy if you can find one for sale.

This would make a great gift for yourself or someone you know who may have served aboard her. Usually only ONE person in the family has the original book. The CD makes it possible for other family members to have a copy also. You will not be disappointed we guarantee it.

Some of the items in this book are as follows:

  • Commissioning 1944
  • Shakedown training
  • Navy Day
  • San Pedro Pearl Harbor Tacoma
  • Group Photos all Divisions and air groups
  • Sports and recreation
  • Shipboard entertainment
  • Ships picnics and parties
  • Liberty Call

Over 210 Photos on 79 Pages.

Once you view this CD you will know what life was like on this Escort Aircraft Carrier during World War II.

Additional Bonus:

  • 22 Minute Audio " American Radio Mobilizes the Homefront " WWII (National Archives)
  • 22 Minute Audio " Allied Turncoats Broadcast for the Axis Powers " WWII (National Archives)
  • 6 Minute Audio of " Sounds of Boot Camp " in the late 50's early 60's
  • Other Interesting Items Include:
    • The Oath of Enlistment
    • The Sailors Creed
    • Core Values of the United States Navy
    • Military Code of Conduct
    • Navy Terminology Origins (8 Pages)
    • Examples: Scuttlebutt, Chewing the Fat, Devil to Pay,
    • Hunky-Dory and many more.

    Por que um CD em vez de um livro em papel?

    • The pictures will not be degraded over time.
    • Self contained CD no software to load.
    • Thumbnails, table of contents and index for easy viewing reference.
    • View as a digital flip book or watch a slide show. (You set the timing options)
    • Back ground patriotic music and Navy sounds can be turned on or off.
    • Viewing options are described in the help section.
    • Bookmark your favorite pages.
    • The quality on your screen may be better than a hard copy with the ability to magnify any page.
    • Full page viewing slide show that you control with arrow keys or mouse.
    • Designed to work on a Microsoft platform. (Not Apple or Mac) Will work with Windows 98 or above.

    Personal Comment from "Navyboy63"

    The cruise book CD is a great inexpensive way of preserving historical family heritage for yourself, children or grand children especially if you or a loved one has served aboard the ship. It is a way to get connected with the past especially if you no longer have the human connection.

    If your loved one is still with us, they might consider this to be a priceless gift. Statistics show that only 25-35% of sailors purchased their own cruise book. Many probably wished they would have. It's a nice way to show them that you care about their past and appreciate the sacrifice they and many others made for you and the FREEDOM of our country. Would also be great for school research projects or just self interest in World War II documentation.

    We never knew what life was like for a sailor in World War II until we started taking an interest in these great books. We found pictures which we never knew existed of a relative who served on the USS Essex CV 9 during World War II. He passed away at a very young age and we never got a chance to hear many of his stories. Somehow by viewing his cruise book which we never saw until recently has reconnected the family with his legacy and Naval heritage. Even if we did not find the pictures in the cruise book it was a great way to see what life was like for him. We now consider these to be family treasures. His children, grand children and great grand children can always be connected to him in some small way which they can be proud of. This is what motivates and drives us to do the research and development of these great cruise books. I hope you can experience the same thing for your family.

    If you have any questions please send us an E-mail prior to purchasing.

    Buyer pays shipping and handling. Shipping charges outside the US will vary by location.

    Check our feedback. Customers who have purchased these CD's have been very pleased with the product.

    Be sure to add us to your !

    Thanks for your Interest!


    Powered by
    The free listing tool. List your items fast and easy and manage your active items.

    This CD is for your personal use only

    Copyright © 2003-2010 Great Naval Images LLC. Todos os direitos reservados.


    FOLLOWUP: One more delay for SW Yancy reopening

    June 18, 2021 4:54 pm
    | 5 COMMENTS
    | West Seattle news | West Seattle traffic alerts

    The long-closed stretch of SW Yancy Street near the West Seattle Health Club will not reopen tomorrow as most recently promised. Word from Transitional Resources, the nearby nonprofit whose supportive-housing project is the reason for the closure: “The concrete is all poured on Yancy Street, but the City Inspector is not allowing the road to open until Tuesday.” It has been closed for almost three months initial word was that the road work mostly involved drainage improvements.


    CVE-106 U.S.S. Commencement Bay - History

    (Celebrating 16 Years in Business)

    (Not just a photo or poster but a work of art!)

    These reproduction prints represent various time periods and themes. Many are vintage WWII prints.

    Print size is 8"x10" ready for framing. The matte is printed right on the canvas. You can frame as shown or add your own matte. These canvas prints are made to order. They usually ship within two days of order placement.

    This would make a nice gift and a great addition to any collection or Navy memory. Would be fantastic for decorating the home or office wall.

    The watermark "Sample Print" will NOT be on your print.

    This image is printed on Archival-Safe Acid-Free canvas using a high resolution printer and should last many years. It is also sprayed with a clear UV finish for extra protection.

    Canvas offers a special and distinctive look. The canvas print does not need glass thereby enhancing the appearance of your print by eliminating glare.

    We guarantee you will not be disappointed with this item or your money back. In addition, we will replace the canvas print unconditionally if you damage your print. You would only be charged for shipping and handling plus $5.00.

    ****WE SHIP WITHIN 24 HOURS OF PAYMENT****

    Navy Heritage
    Merchant Marines
    Build Fight in the Seabees
    Cadets for Naval Aviation
    Wish I could Join Waves
    Sub Spotted Let Em Have It
    Submarine Service
    Become a Nurse
    Don't Let Me Down
    Sailor and his Girl
    Because Someone Talked
    Be a Marine Free a Marine
    Admiral Halsey
    Join Navy Free World
    American Fighting Forces
    Fight Lets Go! Join Navy
    Don't Read History Make It
    US Naval Aviation
    Coast Guard Men
    Navy Day October 27th
    Travel Navy USS Miller
    Old Salt of the Sixth Fleet
    Become a Naval Officer
    Remember December 7th
    Tough Job Still Ahead
    Viet Nam Who Served
    Spearhead of Victory
    Avenge December 7th
    Sub Clear for Action
    He's Getting Signal Are You?
    Girl He Left Behind. Shes a Wow
    We Can Do It!
    Let's Hit Em
    Philadelphia Navy Birthplace
    US Marines First to Fight
    America Fights for Liberty
    Peace Through Strength
    Corsairs Billboard Sign
    The Kill
    Spider and The Fly
    MacArthur Returns
    Old Salts 1880's
    Seabees Build and Fight
    I Want You Now
    Young Men Wanted (1908)
    Wish I Were a Man

    Copyright © 2003-2016 Great Naval Images LLC. Todos os direitos reservados.

    Great Naval Images LLC

    NTC San Diego 1955-377 Anchor NTC San Diego 1956-326 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1957-120 Anchor NTC San Diego 1957-318 Anchor NTC San Diego 1958-181 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1959-062 Anchor NTC San Diego 1959-572 Anchor

    NTC San Diego 1960-388 Anchor NTC San Diego 1961-028 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1961-364 Anchor NTC San Diego 1962-298 Anchor NTC San Diego 1962-416 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1962-464 Anchor NTC San Diego 1963-056 Anchor NTC San Diego 1963-177 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1963-242 Anchor NTC San Diego 1963-363 Anchor NTC San Diego 1963-520 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1963-523 Anchor NTC San Diego 1963-565 Anchor NTC San Diego 1964-039 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1964-124 Anchor NTC San Diego 1964-205 Anchor NTC San Diego 1964-224 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1964-315 Anchor NTC San Diego 1964-381 Anchor NTC San Diego 1964-426 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1965-300 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1965-306 Anchor NTC San Diego 1965-307 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1965-910 Anchor NTC San Diego 1966-291 Anchor NTC San Diego 1966-446 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1966-710 Anchor NTC San Diego 1967-165 Anchor NTC San Diego 1967-254 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1967-391 Anchor NTC San Diego 1967-634 Anchor NTC San Diego 1967-720 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1968-103 Anchor NTC San Diego 1968-135 Anchor NTC San Diego 1968-507 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1968-564 Anchor NTC San Diego 1968-771 Anchor NTC San Diego 1968-775 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1968-783 Anchor NTC San Diego 1969-137 Anchor NTC San Diego 1969-198 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1969-423 Anchor NTC San Diego 1969-468 Anchor NTC San Diego 1969-500 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1969-592 Anchor

    NTC San Diego 1970-020 Anchor NTC San Diego 1970-068 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1970-133 Anchor NTC San Diego 1970-274 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1971-036 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1971-417 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1971-916 Anchor NTC San Diego 1972-319 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1972-268 Anchor NTC San Diego 1972-338 Anchor NTC San Diego 1972-371 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1972-945 Anchor NTC San Diego 1973-124 Anchor NTC San Diego 1973-149 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1973-238 Anchor NTC San Diego 1973-248 Anchor NTC San Diego 1974-093 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1974-167 Anchor NTC San Diego 1974-235 Anchor NTC San Diego 1974-390 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1974-804 Anchor NTC San Diego 1975-157 Anchor NTC San Diego 1975-922 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1976-124 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1976-139 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1976-168 Anchor

    NTC San Diego 1976-238 Anchor NTC San Diego 1976-326 Anchor NTC San Diego 1977-055 Anchor

    NTC San Diego 1977-276 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1978-073 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1978-197 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1979-072 Anchor NTC San Diego 1979-130 Anchor NTC San Diego 1979-179 Anchor

    NTC San Diego 1979-194 Anchor

    NTC San Diego 1980-028 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1980-036 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1980-055 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1980-069 Anchor NTC San Diego 1980-102 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1980-156 Anchor NTC San Diego 1980-227 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1981-073 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1981-137 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1981-148 Anchor NTC San Diego 1981-273 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1981-282 Anchor NTC San Diego 1982-935 Anchor NTC San Diego 1983-207 Anchor

    NTC San Diego 1984-019 Anchor NTC San Diego 1984-243 Anchor NTC San Diego 1984-920 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1984-947 Anchor NTC San Diego 1984-949 Anchor NTC San Diego 1985-034 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1985-236 Anchor NTC San Diego 1986-132 Anchor NTC San Diego 1986-061 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1986-133 Anchor NTC San Diego 1986-171 Anchor NTC San Diego 1987-081 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1987-219 Anchor NTC San Diego 1987-933 Anchor NTC San Diego 1988-009 Anchor
    NTC San Diego 1988-165 Anchor NTC San Diego 1989-067 Anchor


    Assista o vídeo: USS Franklin D Roosevelt CV-42 1976-77 Med Cruise